Kernel - Question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Charryl

Kernel - Question

Post by Charryl »

My OS: Linux Mint 13 64-bit, KDE SC 4.8.5
~ $ uname -a
Linux chas-LinuxMint13 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The update manager (level 5) offers a new kernel update Version 3.2.058.69

LinuxG net http://linuxg.net/?s=kernel&submit=Go offers much 'newer' versions of kernels (3.10.28 and/or 3.12.10 both versions released on the same date).

I am a bit confused as to which version to chose and any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Kernel - Question

Post by WharfRat »

Charryl,

What I would do is a dist-upgrade in the terminal and let the package manager handle that dilemma.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Good luck :wink:
Charryl

Post by Charryl »

WharfRat wrote:Charryl,

What I would do is a dist-upgrade in the terminal and let the package manager handle that dilemma.

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Good luck :wink:
Thanks, this seems to be the safest way - I'll be guided accordingly.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

I never have problem with level 5 upgrade
Linux Mint main edition based on ubuntu, and ubuntu used modified linux kernel . Kernel 3.2 is LTS ( security pach from newer kernel is applied in the current update kernel ) and if you want to use the newest kernel available in LM 13 repository at this time in , the safest way is install inux-generic-lts-saucy kernel 3.11
You can used synaptic package manager to install :
linux-generic-lts-saucy ( the dependencies like linux-header-3.11 package etc will be installed too)
reboot your system , and check your running kernel with command :

uname -a 
if not stable for your system, you can remove it from synaptic too.
Last edited by mank_in on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charryl

Post by Charryl »

mank_in wrote:I never have problem with level 5 upgrade
Linux Mint main edition based on ubuntu, and ubuntu used modified linux kernel . Kernel 3.2 is LTS ( security pach from newer kernel is applied in the current update kernel ) and if you want to use the newest kernel available in LM 13 repository at this time in , the safest way is install inux-generic-lts-saucy kernel 3.11
You can used synaptic package manager to install :
linux-generic-lts-saucy ( the dependencies like linux-header-3.11 package etc will be installed too)
reboot your system , and check your running kernel with command :

uname -a 
if not stable for your system, tou can remove it from synaptic too.
Thanks for your post. Cheers...
runlevel0

Post by runlevel0 »

Charryl wrote:My OS: Linux Mint 13 64-bit, KDE SC 4.8.5
~ $ uname -a
Linux chas-LinuxMint13 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The update manager (level 5) offers a new kernel update Version 3.2.058.69

LinuxG net http://linuxg.net/?s=kernel&submit=Go offers much 'newer' versions of kernels (3.10.28 and/or 3.12.10 both versions released on the same date).

I am a bit confused as to which version to chose and any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.
Hi Charryl:

The kernel from the update manager is the DEB package with the compiled and ready to use kernel for Mint. The kernel from LinuxG is a "vanilla" kernel source in tar.gz / bz2 format meant to be configured, compiled and deployed manually. It's like going to the baker and buyiing a piece of bread vs getting getting flour, water, yeast and salt and baking your own bread.

Compiling, adapting and testing a kernel takes time, that's why the kernels of stable distros are always a few versions behind the latest vanilla kernels (even 7 or more).

If you don't plan to compile a custom kernel you can just forget it.
Charryl

Post by Charryl »

Hi runlevel0.

Thanks for informative response but I am still baffled.

Why is it that the newer type of kernels are considered "stable"?
https://www.kernel.org/

Is the kernel source 'wget' equal to 'tar.gz / bz2'?
http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-kernel ... entary-os/

And why don't they advise that configuration/compilation is required?

The technically challenged certainly would encounter an unpleasany surprise if proceed with installation, would they not?

Your thoughts please.

Return to “Software & Applications”