Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
medmunds
Level 1
Level 1

Suspend on lid close when connected to external monitor

Post by medmunds »

I'm having a suspend issue with Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon on a Dell XPS 15 (l502x) laptop. While the laptop will suspend on command, closing the lid with an external monitor attached simply moves the primary display to the external monitor. Suspend works perfectly when closing the lid without the monitor attached. Has anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

medmunds
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Suspend on lid close when connected to external monitor

Post by medmunds »

** UPDATE **

I found and edited the file: /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.plugins.power.gschema.xml, which has the following XML section:

Code: Select all

<key type="b" name="lid-close-suspend-with-external-monitor">
      <default>true</default>
      <summary>Laptop lid, when closed, will suspend even if there is an external monitor plugged in</summary>
      <description>With no external monitors plugged in, closing a laptop's lid
	will suspend the machine (as set by the lid-close-battery-action and
	lid-close-ac-action keys).  By default, however, closing the lid when
	an external monitor is present will not suspend the machine, so that one can keep
	working on that monitor (e.g. for docking stations or media viewers).  Set this
	key to False to keep the default behavior, or to True to suspend the laptop whenever the
	lid is closed and regardless of external monitors.</description>
    </key>
Hoping to resolve the issue, I set the default from false to true, as per the summary notes. Unfortunately, this did not work, even following a restart of cinnamon and a reboot of the machine. It seems like the ability to control this behavior is in there, I just can't find it!

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Often sleep and low power modes are custom to the motherboard. Laptops tend to have highly modified and non standard low power states. Also most laptops pull air through the keyboard, and will tend to overheat things like your harddrive and video card if your screen is closed.

I've heard of taking apart the screen bezzel to remove the switch, but at that point remove the screen as well to avoid overheating.

medmunds
Level 1
Level 1

Post by medmunds »

I've figured this out. The file I edited the first time was for the default settings, hence the "schema" folder. It really didn't do anything but set the defaults for use by the settings daemon, not the running value. I was able to update the actual setting by running:

Code: Select all

dconf write /org/cinnamon/settings-daemon/plugins/power/lid-close-suspend-with-external-monitor true
Since the default is false, to not suspend when an external monitor is attached, it simply needed to be set to true. The setting could also be changed in the dconf UI tool as well.

coolhandlewk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coolhandlewk »

Thank you for this medmunds!
I had just installed Linux Mint 17, and had the same problem with my external monitor, which I use all the time.
This makes things much easier. Again, Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”