Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
triwave
Level 1
Level 1

Suggestion for photo re-size and conversion utility

Postby triwave » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:24 pm

Hello,

I have amassed quite a collection of digital photos - ranging in size/quality from simple snapshots, to 40MB RAW and TIFF files. I'm looking to give a digital photo frame as a present pre-loaded with a bunch of photos. The resolution of the frame is 800x600 so I'd like to fill a directory with the photos I desire (some much larger than the 800x600 resolution) and run a batch tool of sorts to convert them all to JPEG in the desired size.

I tried searching the web and found many windows utilities (which I refuse to use!) but never saw a good linux alternative.

I'm sure one exists, if you have a suggestion I'm all ears :) (Command line utilities are fine too)

So let's hear from the photography experts or web masters out there - how do you convert a bunch of high res photos to a common size for web galleries, photo frames, etc.

Thanks!

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Suggestion for photo re-size and conversion utility

Postby Husse » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:35 pm

Well I found there is a plugin for nautilus called nautilus-image-converter. According to what I read it does batch work and you find it in Synaptic
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

triwave
Level 1
Level 1

Postby triwave » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:27 pm

I found a very powerful batch converter called phatch - it works great.

http://photobatch.stani.be/

If anybody else is looking it's worth a try. I got all my photos of various resolutions, sizes and formats all converted to a uniform sized jpeg for display on a digital photo fame. After a few tries of 2-3 photos I got my settings and let it rip on a couple GB of pictures. Fantastic - it was exactly what I was looking for!

Note, nothing is changed on your original files, you just get a new folder with the batch converted files...

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Lantesh » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:49 am

triwave wrote:I found a very powerful batch converter called phatch - it works great.

Thanks for the tip. I just installed it.

Return to “Software & Applications”