Network manager applet icon comes and goes (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Network manager applet icon comes and goes (SOLVED)

Post by robert-e »

The icon disappeared from the notification area in the panel this evening. The pulseaudio speaker icon is still there. When I restart the applet in the User terminal, it appears for a few seconds, and then disappears again. It will vanish Immediately if I Control C to regain the command line. The following is a copy and past from the terminal:

EDIT..The icon does not disappear after a few seconds, but only after I isssue a control c. It remains until then. If I do not issue a control c, but rather open another desktop window, I can right click on the icon and do all the normal things ie..edit a wireless connection, etc.

nm-applet

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 61: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 96: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/89-tlwg-garuda-synthetic.conf", line 9: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/89-tlwg-garuda-synthetic.conf", line 21: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/89-tlwg-kinnari-synthetic.conf", line 9: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/89-tlwg-kinnari-synthetic.conf", line 21: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/89-tlwg-loma-synthetic.conf", line 12: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/89-tlwg-umpush-synthetic.conf", line 9: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/89-tlwg-umpush-synthetic.conf", line 21: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-fonts-nanum.conf", line 9: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-fonts-nanum.conf", line 22: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-fonts-nanum.conf", line 22: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-fonts-nanum.conf", line 26: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-fonts-nanum.conf", line 31: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-fonts-nanum.conf", line 40: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/90-fonts-unfonts-core.conf", line 11: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
^C** Message: PID 0 (we are 3769) sent signal 2, shutting down...

(nm-applet:3769): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_status_icon_set_visible: assertion `GTK_IS_STATUS_ICON (status_icon)' failed

Unquote
I updated the OS earlier today, and all seemed to work, when rebooting, until this evening. It appears to be some GTK problem??

Any ideas?

Regards,
Bob
Last edited by robert-e on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Network manager applet icon comes and goes

Post by robert-e »

Fiddled arount some more with this today. Might have found a simple fix: In User terminal I ran nm-applet & instead of just nm-applet. Icon stays on the panel notification area now. Will reboot later to see if it stays fixed. If so after a few days, I will mark this as SOLVED. Now I have to learn why the & made the difference; IIRC, it is something like "respawn" or "persistent".

Regards,
Bob

robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robert-e »

No, the icon does not persist on reboot. Now I am out of my depth; I did not change anything is the rc files. The only thing I can think of is that there was an update to bluetooth recently. I guess the question is: How does network-manager and it's applet get started in a persistent way on boot? The usual way is with an rc?d file, but IIRC network-manager does it's own thing. Another fly in the ointment is the systemd/upstart trying to be compatable with each other.

Any suggestions, gentlemen?

Regards,
Bob

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

robert-e wrote:No, the icon does not persist on reboot. Now I am out of my depth; I did not change anything is the rc files. The only thing I can think of is that there was an update to bluetooth recently. I guess the question is: How does network-manager and it's applet get started in a persistent way on boot? The usual way is with an rc?d file, but IIRC network-manager does it's own thing. Another fly in the ointment is the systemd/upstart trying to be compatable with each other.
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
Add nm-applet command to the /etc/rc.local file.

robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robert-e »

I added nm-applet & to etc/rc.local and rebooted. That did not work...ie no icon. I wondered if it needed a delay, so instead I added (sleep 1 && nm-applet) & and rebooted. That also did not work.

I know that network-manager does things it's own way. Not sure where to go from here. I've googled hundreds of posts, but none of the fixes seem to work.

Any other ideas, gentlemen?

Best regards,
Bob

robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robert-e »

Update: I think I have it fixed, or at least worked-around. I removed the entries from rc.local, and then from the menu selected Preferences --> Startup Applications. Clicked Add, and in the command window, typed nm-applet & and named it Network-Manager applet. Saved, and rebooted. And it works.

For those reading this, the OS is Mint 13 64 bit with Mate desktop, video is Nvidia, with none-free driver...ver 304 updated. Boot and / are on a sdd; one post suggested that might have caused the problem in the first place?

If the fix persists, I will mark this as solved in a few days.

Best regards,
Bob

robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robert-e »

The fix seems to have worked over several shutdown/reboots. Just to make sure, I did a reinstall on all the installed "network-manager" files in synaptic. I still think that I have short-circuited network-manager's methods of doing things, but no matter, as long as it works. I will now try to mark this thread as solved.

Thanks all,
Bob

Return to “Software & Applications”