Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

A 6MB mint-flashplugin update?

Post by CtrlAltDel »

Wow, and it's only for a security mode update. I wish Flash would go away and one of the alternatives became stable and reliable. Adobe isn't concerned about Linux users; that was demonstrated when they decided to cut them off and make flash upgrades unavailable.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: A 6MB mint-flashplugin update?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, CtrlAltDel.

So what is the problem which you need help with? Or is the intention merely to express your dissatisfaction with Adobe's decisions?
I would be more concerned in case we Linux users did not receive any Flash security updates in a timely fashion than I will be concerned by the fact that we do and that the Linux download package may have 6.5 MB. We always get the complete flash player plugin, no matter whether it is an emergency security patch, a normal update or a new installation.

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robert-e »

Does the previous post mean that whenever we get a security flash update, we also get a version update from Adobe? I hope so, but please clarify, as I have always wondered how far we will get behind in versions, before flash becomes unusable
as more and more websites demand a higher version.

Best regards,
Bob

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Bob.

We Linux users are locked at Flash v11.2.202.x, currently v11.2.202.336. We will not get any new features. We only get security patches.
Exception:
Chrome users get the Pepper based Flash player which comes with all Chrome browsers. (Pepper) Flash will be on the same technical level as the Windows version. Currently both are at v12.0.0.44.

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel »

karlchen wrote:Hello, CtrlAltDel.

So what is the problem which you need help with? Or is the intention merely to express your dissatisfaction with Adobe's decisions?
I would be more concerned in case we Linux users did not receive any Flash security updates in a timely fashion than I will be concerned by the fact that we do and that the Linux download package may have 6.5 MB. We always get the complete flash player plugin, no matter whether it is an emergency security patch, a normal update or a new installation.

Cheers,
Karl
I have no problem that I need assistance with. Sorry for any inconvenience put upon anyone with this misplaced post.

As for the other, I guess I was just thinking it was excessive for a security update while no longer allowed to benefit from the newer upgrades from Adobe. Whining is good for some types; it's cathartic. If I ran the show, I'd get over it somehow and not shut out Linux users just on principle. Linux types drive a lot of innovation.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Software & Applications”