Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Java7 u51 certificate issues - not respecting exceptions

Post by unprinted »

I am using Oracle Java 7 via the webupd8 PPA, currently oracle-java7-installer_7u51-0~webupd8~1_all.deb, on Mint 16/MATE.

The 7u51 version changed the handling of signing certificates and it's a lot fussier about what it will run. Specifically, unless you add an exception, it doesn't like self-signed or expired certificates. An example of the former is Webmin's file manager and I am trying to use a commercial service which (for reasons that are beyond me) has an expired certificate.

It will run both, once the exceptions are added, on a PC with Edubuntu 13.10. That system previously had no Java environment on it at all. On first running them, it did warn that this could be problematic and asked for confirmation that I wanted to go ahead.

I do not get asked that on Mint: it's straight to 'the computer says "no"', complaining about the certificates. That's even though I've added the exceptions. I have purged Oracle Java, deleted ~/.java, rebooted and reinstalled it... and it still comes up with the same error.

Apart from coming with OpenJDK7, what's difference about Mint?

(You can't search for four letter words like 'Java' here, but trying Java7 doesn't seem to come up with any other relevant posts.)
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Java7 u51 certificate issues - not respecting exceptions

Post by unprinted »

Ah, it works if I use another account on the same Mint PC.

So.. where else is Java looking and finding something that's causing it to work with one user but not another?

It's not just ~/.java because I've deleted that before reinstalling.

It's not somewhere outside ~ because - unless it's storing individual user's preferences outside their home directory (naughty!) - that's common to all users.
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Post by unprinted »

Hmm, copying the other user's .java directory (and chowning it all to me) doesn't help.

None of their other directories has a more recent date, which suggests that no other info is being written, so is it reading some old info from somewhere in my home directory?
unprinted
Level 2
Level 2

Post by unprinted »

Ahh, it will run in Chromium.

So it's looking like something about my Firefox (upgraded from 26.0 to 27.0 since this started) compared with my Firefox on the other PC and another user's Firefox on this one...

Return to “Software & Applications”