Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
axd250
Level 1
Level 1

How do I open .dat files on cinnamon?

Post by axd250 »

I can't open .dat extension files. When I ask the system to look for a software to open it, it says nautilus requires to install mensagem TNEF and it is not supported. Is there any other way to open .dat files?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How do I open .dat files on cinnamon?

Post by xenopeek »

What program did you use to create the .dat files? There are many programs that create or have .dat files--each with its own distict file format--so you'll need to be specific.

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

There are probably several different kinds of applications that generate or can read .DAT files. Off the top of my head, VideoCDs use .DAT file extensions (e.g. AVISEQ01.DAT). If the .DAT file came from a VideoCD, I believe it can be read by VLC (and probably other media players as well).
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

nomko

Post by nomko »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:VideoCDs use .DAT file extensions (e.g. AVISEQ01.DAT).
Either that or it's just a plain data file.

But the real questions are: Did the topic starter installed anything that requires dat files? Or did he installed an application which writes .dat files? Where did the topic starter get those .dat files from?

Without any clarification about the origin we're just guessing and keep on guessing...

axd250
Level 1
Level 1

Post by axd250 »

I received some emails with attached files, and all of then are winmail.dat files.

When I tried to open then, the system couldn't and offer the possibility to look for a proper one on thw web, and answered me back what I've mentioned in my first post.

I've already tried to open then using VLC, but it didn't work.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

The sender should adjust how emails are sent to you. Winmail.dat files are something not meant to be read. See Microsoft's support page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

I've already tried to open then using VLC, but it didn't work.
That's because you didn't tell us the full story up front -- forcing folks to guess, and not surprisingly, they guessed wrong.

Those files are specific to Outlook emails and contain formatting information that Outlook uses when opening the email and rendering it to the screen.

Those files are of no use outside Outlook.

axd250
Level 1
Level 1

Post by axd250 »

Thank you, guys!

tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

As a foillow-up. Have a look at http://www.faqforge.com/linux/how-to-op ... ian-linux/

The app mentioned, tnef, is in Synaptic.

I have used it with success.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

Return to “Software & Applications”