Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

Is "Transmission" a slow .tor client?

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

Half of the files I que to it just sit there stalling, or taking a day to complete (this is in contrast to some weeks' back, when my laptop was windows7, and utorrent would have things done asap w/o any issue)

Is Transmission a sub-par, built-in thing that I should be swapping w/ some other aftermarket client? Deluge(sp?), perhaps?

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Is "Transmission" a slow .tor client?

Post by vrkalak »

I use Deluge as my torrent-client.

If you don't like Transmission, there are others that may find suitable. Check out Synaptic Package Managers for a 'install' list.

Or check this list > http://websearch.about.com/od/torrentse ... lients.htm
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

jahid
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jahid »

Deluge is my favourite torrent client.
when i first started to use linux mint as my first OS i wasn't able to download any torrent file with transmission. then i searched for a better torrent client and found deluge to be an interesting choice, it worked for the torrents i wasn't able to even start downloading with transmission. since then i'm using deluge as my only torrent client and i am satisfied with it's performance..
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop

NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

Good stuff, off to try deluge! Thanks a ton guys :D

NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

Just so I know I'm not gonna err too badly, this is what I intend to do:

sudo apt-get purge transmission
sudo apt-get install deluge

is that appropriate? My understanding was they use the same port, so they cannot be on together (or run simultaneously? although I like a clean PC, so if deluge is the new go-to, I'd rather not even own transmission at that point ;) )

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by clfarron4 »

That should work.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

weirdness- when I go "sudo apt-get purge(or remove) transmission", it tells me I don't have that package. Then I go to software manager, search 'transmission', w/ the intent to find its entry, see "installed" and then select "remove", only to find that the software manager also does not think I have it installed....
I DO have it installed, I can see it when searching the PC, and I can use it right now- yet when trying to remove it, the system pretends I don't have it..

(I should note that I *was* able to still get deluge up/working, and yeah I see the difference already! WOW what a better tor client!)

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

NewToLinuxxx wrote:weirdness- when I go "sudo apt-get purge(or remove) transmission", it tells me I don't have that package.
The package name is transmission-gtk. Hence, you:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge transmission-gtk
I hit the same snag when I was looking for the transmission binary some time ago. Then I found out the -gtk portion was part of its name. :roll:

HTH.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I guess it must be a YMMV kinda thing. Transmission works first try, every try for me and with speeds of 6 MB/s or better.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

aha good to know! Just tried and it removed mine :D

I've hit a snag, I think I'm just ignorant about how to use torrent programs, lol. I started deluge w/ a single, 1.5gb file, and it gave a reasonable time expectation (~25min). I then added like 5+ more to the que, which was never a problem using utorrent on win7, and now all are basically at standstill (either paused/stalled, or days til complete).

Do I need to feed deluge a single file at a time? I guess I'm looking for the ability I had w/ utorrent before, wherein I'd just put 5 or 10 in there, and the *total* time would be equivalent to the time if i'd have fed them individually. W/ deluge, it seems that adding more files makes it exponentially more difficult for the program, will be major PITA if I've gotta do torrents one at a time :/

NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

tdockery97 wrote:I guess it must be a YMMV kinda thing. Transmission works first try, every try for me and with speeds of 6 MB/s or better.
WOW! I have 'high speed' (whatever the hell that even means) package and even if i'm the only one using a computer in my house, I've never seen better than 1.3mb/s (I'm on wifi, perhaps that's causing such a substantial variance here)

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

I don't think it's related to Transmission. I have never had any problem with that software. I can put 5 torrents at the same time and still get a really decent flow.

I think that your ISP has some problem. If Deluge slows down the flow when you add several torrents, it's definitely not Transmission the problem.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

mbohets
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mbohets »

I had slow downloads with Transmission also.
I now use Frostwire, and it works fine.
Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religion

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Add me in as another that's never had a problem with transmission. . . . . not entirely convinced it's the client and as metioned above there is the possibility of ISP interference.

NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

I'm starting to think there was an UBER OBVIOUS problem here, being that I wasn't aware of the other pc's trafffic in my house- I think I was expecting consistent times from a tor program, w/o respect to what other ppl on my wifi were doing.. Think that 1.3mb/s is what I can get if everyone else is off the wifi, and these crawl-times are probably when ppl left their computers running torrents I was unawares of!
/who's the goose? lol

wingedearth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wingedearth »

Transmission is not at all slow. If you're encountering speed problems, it's likely due to either your network or to the seeders.

NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

Are there any generic settings that ppl tend to alter on their torrent programs? Not that I can really complain right now w/ what I'm getting for speed, 1.3mbs is respectable i guess, but things like "unlimited ports/connections" or other settings that ppl typically alter when setting up new tor clients?

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Two settings that I usually change: number of concurrent connections, and the bandwidth taken up by the client. Those settings depends on whether I'm the only one using the connection and/or if someone else is using it apart from me, and/or if I also need some of the bandwidth for other purposes.

Transmission is a decent client. I don't have any problems with it as far as usability and features are concerned. As mentioned earlier,
wingedearth wrote:If you're encountering speed problems, it's likely due to either your network or to the seeders.
and I would also add ISP issues. Certain ISPs implement throttling as part of their so-called "Fair Use Policy."
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Software & Applications”