Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
zenith
Level 1
Level 1

GimPhoto 1.4.3 Linux release - free Photoshop alternative

Post by zenith » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:18 am

hi :D
this is a great news for you that using Linux and in search for Photoshop alternative... GimPhoto 1.4.3 for Linux is released.

GimPhoto for Linux installer is useful for all Linux distro such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE, etc.

GimPhoto 1.4.3 for Linux has all great features that same with GimPhoto 1.4.3 for Windows.
but for you that not familiar with GimPhoto, this is a short description about it:

GimPhoto is GIMP modification that:
- based on new stable GIMP 2.4.
- new menu layout like PS.
- new shortcuts like PS.
- CMYK separation.
- Layer Effects.
- new brushset and gradientset.
- packed with 20+ plugins and scripts to fill missing PS function on GIMP.
- for example: Save for Web, Slice for Web, Batch Process, etc.
- packed with many photographic filters like Noise Reduction, B/W and IR.

for more detailed information, go to http://www.gimphoto.com

Notes: I also asking for help:
- please, provide mirror GimPhoto for Linux as single package.
- please, create .deb or .rpm for GimPhoto for Linux.
- please, spread the word about GimPhoto ... thanks a lot... (^__^)=b

update: 26/08/2008
for users that already download it before 26/08/2008, please re-download it again, there is a problem with the files.

i'm really sorry for this much trouble, there is explanation about it at GimPhoto site.
i already fix the installation files and also give more detailed installation instructions.

update: 06/09/2008
change download location from uploader.polorix.net to tuxfamily.org
because uploader.polorix.net is closed.

update: 10/09/2008
single file installer now available at tuxfamily.org
now GimPhoto for Linux is easier to install and compatible with ALL Linux distro.

please report back to this thread about your installation progress, thanks a lot for your support!
Last edited by zenith on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Re: GimPhoto 1.4.3 Linux release - free Photoshop alternative

Post by donec » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:39 am

What is the difference between Gimphoto and GimpShop other than the name?
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

zenith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenith » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:15 am

donec,
Gimpshop is based on old GIMP 2.2 with standard plugins, no additional plugins and afaik no further development since first release.
GimPhoto is based on new GIMP 2.4 and packed with more than 20 additional plugins, still actively developed and already done 3 time release (under Windows) and this version is the first release for Linux.

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:57 pm

zenith wrote:donec,
Gimpshop is based on old GIMP 2.2 with standard plugins, no additional plugins and afaik no further development since first release.
GimPhoto is based on new GIMP 2.4 and packed with more than 20 additional plugins, still actively developed and already done 3 time release (under Windows) and this version is the first release for Linux.
Ok what is the difference between GimPhoto for Linux users compared to GIMP? When GimpShop came out it successfully answered a difficulty Windows users had with the use of multiple windows for one program. This did not work for Linux so effectively there was no difference to GIMP.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Hmmm...

Having some of those PS plugins would be handy, I especially like the idea of having the Save for web function. That was downright handy...

I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip!

zenith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenith » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:23 pm

donec,
try to setup GIMP development environment (be able to compile GIMP and GIMP plugins),
and after that search this list of plugins on the net, after found the source code, compile it, install it and testing it if working or not and then create package installer (and this only half of the work that must be done for GimPhoto because i modified each plugins and scripts to match my menu modification).

this is the lists:

ADDITIONAL PLUGINS LIST
=====================
01. Save for Web
02. Dave Batch Process
03. Separate+
04. Guash (Image Browser)
05. Dcam Noise 0.64
06. Greycstoration
07. Degrain
08. Kaleidoscope
09. Gimp-Normalmap
10. fBlur (focus Blur)
11. Refocus-It
12. HighPass Filter
13. WideAngle
14. Resynthesize

ADDITIONAL SCRIPTS LIST
=====================
01. Web-o-tine
02. Layer Effects
03. Shadow-Highlights
04. Silicosaur PhotoFX
05. Sepia Toning
06. BW-Film-Simulation
07. EG-InfraRed-Simulation
08. EV-iccii-PhotoEffects
09. Exposure-Blend
10. Pandora-Combine

zenith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenith » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:50 am

everybody,
there is a problem with the installation files, i'm really sorry for this much trouble, there is explanation about it at GimPhoto site. I have updated the files and also give more detailed installation instructions, please try to download it again.

please report back to this thread about your installation progress, thanks a lot for your support! (^__^)=b

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:16 pm

I don't get this!
This does NOTHING that you can't achieve yourself after 5 minutes with the Gimp... :shock: :evil: :lol: :cry:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

zenith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenith » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:08 pm

hi zwopper,
nice to meet you, thank's for your comments (^__^)/

but ever you try to do color separation or do photo noise reduction for prepare it before printing process using GIMP?

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:35 am

zenith wrote:hi zwopper,
nice to meet you, thank's for your comments (^__^)/

but ever you try to do color separation or do photo noise reduction for prepare it before printing process using GIMP?
Yes I do!
I rely a lot on http://registry.gimp.org/list_content - for useful plugins, as well as DeviantArt.
Photoshop brushes and filters work fine in Gimp by default as well, so I don't see the need for this, sorry... :|

What you could do is to team up with Pavel Kanzelsberger who has made Pixel and make that a stable photoshop clone for those who wants that, me - I'm happy with the Gimp!
Pixel's tag line is: "RGB, CMYK and HDR image editing and photo retouching for Windows, Mac OSX, Linux and others."
And he goes on: "Pixel is a RGB, CMYK and HDR image editing, photo retouching, graphics manipulating and animation program available for many operating systems formerly known as Pixel32. It is available for Windows, Linux, Linspire, MacOSX, BeOS, Zeta, QNX, MorphOS, FreeBSD, eComStation, OS/2, SkyOS and even old plain DOS, for both x86 and PowerPC architectures." Image (<---Click image to go to Pixel image editor site!)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

zenith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenith » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:19 pm

zwopper,
i'm really sorry to think you as GIMP new user but it's look like you are GIMP power user with IT expert background... (^__^)=b YOU rocks!
so i think GimPhoto not really useful for you, even i think you already be able to use PS plugins using Wine.

GimPhoto is developed for GIMP new comer from Photoshop world that usually an artist or designer without IT expert background, they need to use the GIMP useful out-of-the-box without search, compile and install plugins by themself.

Many GIMP useful plugins not included in GIMP such as: CMYK Separation, Save for Web, Batch Process, Layer Effects, etc (last time i check gimp plugins repo is missing from many plugins, i don't know why, maybe because they redesign the site) and this need more time and ability to deal with system (usually new user confuse about access folder that need as root or with gimp user preferences hidden folder).

Even many GIMP new user had difficulties to install new brushes because there is no Brush Manager, difficult to install new plugins because no Plugin Manager, new gradient, new pallete, etc.

Why i don't work with Pixel:
- it's paid software, not free software.
- it's developed using FreePascal that never as fast as C based program like GIMP also last time i check it's buggy.

i just to help others to easier to use GIMP if this insult you then i'm really sorry.
i not intended to do it and i'm sorry for my limited english if there is a bad or harsh words maybe this because english is not my mother language not what i meant about it.

lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:32 pm

Zwopper wrote:I don't get this!
This does NOTHING that you can't achieve yourself after 5 minutes with the Gimp... :shock: :evil: :lol: :cry:
confused? Where do you find awesomely ridiculous pictures like this? LOL!

Return to “Software & Applications”