Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

like 'shred' but for folders? [Solved]

Post by tpprynn »

I'm intending to pass on a computer to a relative soon and as it's set up very well I'd rather just delete my stuff securely and pass it on like that. I've used shred in the terminal for single files but is there an equivalent for folders (with different file suffixes in its contents otherwise shred would still be of use)? I've looked at Bleachbit but apparently it's is leaving stuff retrievable still.

Thanks.
Last edited by tpprynn on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: like 'shred' but for folders?

Post by trapperjohn »

Say the folder you want to shred is: /home/yourUser/shredme

find '/home/yourUser/shredme' -depth -type f -exec shred --force --iterations=10 --verbose --zero --remove {} \;

Start with a small folder with some trivial files and folders in it as a test.

trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by trapperjohn »

PS: Also, get bleachbit from synaptic and use it to clear all of your personal info in the cache, firefox, etc.

tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

Beautiful, thanks - I'd been thinking it was strange that shred couldn't do folders so it's great that it can.

Over the years I've got used to manually deleting the hidden files in the home folder for various reasons - is Bleachbit doing more than that in an automated way or is it jut automating what I've been doing? When I read about it it seemed it was not yet quite in CCleaner's league.

trapperjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by trapperjohn »

Three basic levels:

Pretty good:
Shreading your private files (documents, etc.) then using bleachbit to clear the cache, firefox passwords, recently used files, etc. is a moderate approach. It depends on your comfort level. Bleachbit won't remove installed applications (like ccleaner). But, if you run it both as root at as not-root you can wipe private info, histories, rotated logs, etc. pretty effectively.

More worried:
Creating a new user, deleting your user (from the new user's login), then shreading the old users home directory in an option. If you go this way, also consider removing wireless passwords and other items that might be stored in other parts of your filesystem. Also, change your password. When your done, run bleachbit as root anyway.

No tossing and turning whatsoever:
With organizations I work with, when we transfer ownership, we replace the disk drive with a new one... sometimes installing the Mint OS for the new user. Occasionally, we re-flash the BIOS, mostly to protect the new user and to eliminate relvealing any system management habits that BIOS customizations might reveal.

Return to “Software & Applications”