information software?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

information software?

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

in windows there is a 3rd party program, i can't remember the name of, that identifies your hard drive & size, memory, wifi, and many other aspects of your individual computer. Is
there something else, 3rd party or not, in linux mint 16 that will do much of the same thing ?

ahhhhhhhh the name of that software in windows is Belarc Advisor? not sure

thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: information software?

Post by Orbmiser »

Did a simple google search came up with 2 GUI tools to check hardware information in Linux.
http://www.linuxandlife.com/2013/06/GUI ... ation.html

That may fit your needs. As I remember Belarc also.
And second one is is the default system info tool in Linux Mint. It can can gather information about your system's hardware and operating system, perform benchmarks, and generate printable reports either in HTML or in plain text formats.

Hardinfo is in the official repositories of most distros so installing it is very easy.

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, tbrownarcher2.

On Linux Mint check out "inxi".

Code: Select all

inxi --help
will give you a lot to read about ways of using "inxi". The most common and useful overview will be created by

inxi -Fxz
(Mac addresses filtered out) or

inxi -Fx
(Mac addresses included for yourself)

"inxi" will be available on all Linux Mint desktop environments. For more Windows like system information programmes you will have to look inside the menu, usually in the submenu "System Management" or simply "System". There should be "System Information".
Oh, yes, now that I have read Orbmiser's reply: what I know from some Mint menus as "System information" is actually hardinfo. And hardinfo is missing on xfce by default. Why the heck haven't I noticed before? - Added it to my Mint 16 xfce. :-)

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I do not find anything in the menu for system that is "system info"

I find system monitor but that's not what i want at least i'm not understand if i want it or not
it does give a few of the things i want but i'm looking for detail laid out in a manner somewhat close to the way Belarc does it ...

I find system settings but that is not it either

Other than that I don't find anything in the menu. Maybe i'm not looking in the right place

Thanks,
Nate
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:I do not find anything in the menu for system that is "system info"

I find system monitor but that's not what i want at least i'm not understand if i want it or not
it does give a few of the things i want but i'm looking for detail laid out in a manner somewhat close to the way Belarc does it ...

I find system settings but that is not it either

Other than that I don't find anything in the menu. Maybe i'm not looking in the right place

Thanks,
Nate
Check to see if it is installed? As Hardinfo is in the official repositories of most distros so installing it is very easy.
If isn't checked marked as installed then install it and should show up in the menus.
Sorry but using KDE myself so don't remember about where it was in the menu's.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Orbmiser:
What exactly is the name of the system software I'm looking for?
Is it system Info?

thanks,
Nate
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Thanks Guys I ddin't do a thing with Inixi as I don't understand it from lack of ever using it.

I got the system info software installed and used. It Is quite adequate for now but it's not as complete as Belarc. Someday I will try again but for now i'm taken care of

Ok!!!!! After saying i knew nothing about inxi I actually tried it and it works fine gave me all of what i wanted.

thanks
Nate
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

tbrownarcher2 wrote:Orbmiser:
What exactly is the name of the system software I'm looking for?
Is it system Info?

thanks,
Nate
Hardinfo
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Here on my German Cinnamon they labelled hardinfo "System Information". On my German Mint 16 xfce the name in the menu is different. I will post it tonight. - But you can always type "hardinfo" in the application search box of your Mint menu, and hardinfo will be found and the name it has got in your menu will be displayed as well.
--
P.S.:
Here on Mint 13 xfce hardinfo is present. In the menu it is named "System Information", comment "Hardinfo Benchmark".
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Hmmmmm this is getting very interresting to me

I'm playing wih inxi.

The only memory information i seem to be able to find is quantity, mine is small under 1 gig.

How do i get ALL the memory info. the brand, the speed, the type and anything else that is available?

Thanks,
Nate
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Go to the "System tools" menu folder and check "System Profiler and Benchmark": this is the menu entry for the "hardinfo" command. You can also install the "lshw" package (command line tool like "inxi") to list hardware.

sudo lshw -html -numeric > hardware.html
will generate a comprehensive list you can read in your favorite browser.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

sudo lshw -html -numeric > hardware.html
this command produced this and then it just goes to the prompt

nate@nate ~ $ sudo lshw -html -numeric > hardware.html
PCI (sysfs)  

eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Then the file "hardware.html" is now stored in your personal folder. Open your file manager and double-click on the file...
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

eanfrid:

by personal folder I assume you mean theone with my name. It use to be nate but it's not there anymore. this is scaring me. What am i doing wrong
thanks,
Nate

Ok i found it using terminal ... it use to be in the gui list but i can't find it anywhere i know it has to be there though.
So I opened it and it's empty no list of anything was i supposed to direct it somewhere with a space or / .

I used firefox to open it with open file command in the menu

lthank,
Nate

Return to “Software & Applications”