Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TheMagicPimpBus
Level 1
Level 1

Wine Programs Refuse To Load?

Post by TheMagicPimpBus » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:55 am

Recently, any wine programs I try to use won't load up. For example, if I click on Fallout Tactics then it comes up on the taskbar 'Starting Fallout Tactics' but that just dissapears after a little while. I've tried to open Wine Config, but even that won't open. After that I tried to load Wine Config and FTL through the terminal, but I got the following message:

cai@cai-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC ~ $ winecfg
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
cai@cai-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC ~ $ env WINEPREFIX="/home/cai/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/cai/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Desktop/Faster\ Than\ Light.lnk
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004100
cai@cai-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC ~ $ Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

I've got no idea what that means and I'd appreciate it if someone could explain it to me/offer a fix for my problem.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Wine Programs Refuse To Load?

Post by karlchen » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:32 am

Hello, TheMagicPimpBus.

May we assume that the terminal where you executed the commands was one of the 6 pseudo text terminals tty1 to tty6 which you can switch to by pressing <Ctrl><Alt><F1>, <Ctrl><Alt><F2> .. <Ctrl><Alt><F6>?

This would explain why the variable $DISPLAY was not available. Just tried launching winecfg from pseudo text console tty2. Pressed <Ctrl><Alt><F2>. Logged on. Typed winecfg. And the last line of the error message was exactly what you posted, too:
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded. Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
You cannot launch any graphical programme from inside one of the 6 pseudo text console monitors. Instead go to [Menu] => Accessories => Terminal. If I launch winecfg from inside the gnome-terminal window which will come up this way it works fine.

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

TheMagicPimpBus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMagicPimpBus » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:02 pm

That's where I was already trying to launch it from. If it helps I've only had this problem after trying to install the Good Old Games version of Rogue Legacy?

dupek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dupek » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:31 pm

I got 3 Angry Birds games that I paid for and will not install. Some Windows card games will not install. I uninstalled and installed the Wine - still no joy.

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:56 am

dupek wrote:I got 3 Angry Birds games that I paid for and will not install. Some Windows card games will not install. I uninstalled and installed the Wine - still no joy.
Please don't hijack this person's thread. Their problem is with getting stuff to run that they had already installed -- NOT with installing new stuff.

Hijacking threads is rude and only causes confusion when solutions for one problem don't apply to the other.

You need to start your own thread. And when you do, be sure to provide some details about what DOES happen when you try to install a game -- and mention the name and version of the game. General comments line "will not install" are too vague to be of use.

Return to “Software & Applications”