Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
axd250
Level 1
Level 1

Instructions on how to install drivers

Post by axd250 »

I have a notebook dell Inspiron N5010 and I'm using Linux Mint 16 Petra, cinnamon. I bought an Epson L355 all-in-one and I've already downloaded the printer and scan drivers for linux from Epson website: epson-inkjet-printer-201207w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb and iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb, but I need basic help for installing then, since the system doesn't recognize them automatically.

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Instructions on how to install drivers

Post by gtsfer »

First, are you sure "Add Printer" will not find and install it? Turn the printer on (this is kinda different than the Windows way). After it's powered up and ready go into "Print Settings" and try an "Add". It just might find your drivers from the in-tree database. I've had good luck with this on a couple of printers with LM.
Last edited by gtsfer on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Those files use the package manager to install. Details are in the link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/40779/ho ... mmand-line

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Mark Phelps wrote:Those files use the package manager to install. Details are in the link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/40779/ho ... mmand-line
Don't use dpkg unless you have a good reason. It's a low-level tool that can only warn about missing dependencies, but is unable to install them. Use gdebi/gdebi-gtk/gdebi-kde for the packages downloaded from the net.

gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

I'm just curious if this would get the same results. If you right click on a downloaded DEB file, there's an option to "open with Gdebi" or whatever the package installer is on your system. That's essentially the same as as running gdebi from the command line, right (except through a GUI interface)?

Or are there differences that gdebi command line would catch that the gui interface might not? Fwiw... I thought he might try the Add Printer method first. :)
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240

Return to “Software & Applications”