Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

How-to: Install a keylogger on my computer

Postby NewToLinuxxx » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm not trying to mess w/ other's or do anything nefarious. However, lemme give a hypothetical: my laptop is sometimes shared by my brother or, most concerning, a female I've been w/ lately. I leave my accounts open all the time (facebook, email).

Is there a way I could track activitity/keystrokes on my own computer, if I want to check what someone did with it? I know I can just use history, but, say, if someone were in a chat program that was mine, but log out and kill the log (or just kill the log), and the person they spoke to doesn't tell me any conversation happened*, I want a way to find out myself (specifically, I want a way to know *exactly* what was said - am suspecting that someone's been using my laptop to talk to old friends of mine, and is posing as me, and doing things backhandedly but subtley)

It is my computer, I have full root access, yadda yadda. Are there any plug/play "background" activity-logging/key-logging programs that're user-friendly that may be up my alley?

Thanks in advance for any reco's

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How-to: Install a keylogger on my computer

Postby killer de bug » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:31 pm

For this kind of strange stuff (weird motivation... why would you spy on friends/girlfriends :shock: ) you have 2 solutions :

1) Use google and find how to install a Keylogger
2) Create a second account, for visitor, without any admin right. This would prevent your friends to see your doc, and facebook account... :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

NewToLinuxxx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby NewToLinuxxx » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:33 pm

gah I was almost done responding, hit something wrong and refreshed page w/o it posting...

I'm not looking to spy- I'm looking to do damage-control. I leave my pc up all the time 24/7 and, as of late, there's been some instances where I got a reply email/fbook message, to teh effect of "what did you mean by that???", only to realize a crazy girl (yes, I have a penchant for these types) had used my account, acting as me, to contact ppl pretending to be me. I want to be able to discern exactly what's happened, if this girl ever accesses this again w/o my constent, and acts as me while contacting friends of mine. I'm aware there's easier 'security' protocols (username accounts, logging out, whatever, but in reality I like my machine up, I let her use it, but she 'agrees' she'll always use her own accounts. She's proven to be a liar in this regard)

Honestly tho I appreciate the sentiment and know I could setup differently (or just not let her in my house anymore), but this is really just a technical question, I wanta keylogger (also w/ activity reports, if that exists, so i can see where/what she did). If such programs could be recommended to me, they'd be greatly appreciated. I don't need them to send this data to another machine, I just need them running in the background on my computer so, next time I suspect this has happened, I can check and be sure, instead of confronting her, her playing stupid/innocent, and me having no way to prove that she did waht she'd done, yknow?)

Again, thnx for reco's if anything fits the bill :)

Hecubus
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Hecubus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:56 am

If you're allowing someone to use your computer who is logging into your personal accounts, then you are the security problem. Why not just stay logged out of Facebook while you're away? Is she going to brute force your password too? /s

Secure your account with a good password and consider a password manager.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Habitual » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Lock the screen.

Return to “Software & Applications”