Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
konstantkarma
Level 1
Level 1

Crashing - Memory issue?

Postby konstantkarma » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:41 am

Hi! I'm not sure where to post this...

I've run Mint 13 Mate for a long time but finally thought 16 was going to work for me. I'm now running Mint 16 64 with Cinnamon.

I have 2.7 GB of RAM and a 2.75 GB swap drive.

Whenever it seems like I'm using up too much memory, I get a hard crash and have to power off the whole system. Examples of when this occurs: Opening too many tabs in Firefox, closing Firefox and reopening it, opening more than a few programs at once, switching users and opening browser (generally FF) while other user still logged in.

The system seems to bog down, then goes to wavy lines and has to be switched off at the CPU. See photo attached.

It seems to be centered around how much memory Firefox is using. My general computing is having open FF, Chromium, gedit, maybe GIMP. Nothing terribly extreme. It's especially prone to happen after switching users and opening FF there as well.

Anybody got any thoughts?
Attachments
glitch-sm.JPG

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Crashing - Memory issue?

Postby xenopeek » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:22 am

Have you look in /var/log/syslog file after rebooting from a crash? Easiest way is to after a crash switch off the computer--leave it off for a good while, say 10 minutes, and then switch it back on. Note the time. When you browse /var/log/syslog file first go to the end, which will have logging from your current boot. Scroll back up till you get to the time of the crash. You should see that 10 minute gap where the computer was powered time in the logging also (as from one line to the next, the time jumps 10 minutes). From the last line logged before the crash, scroll back up one or two pages (say up to 30 seconds before the crash in time) and look for lines that have ERROR or warning on them. Those might hold a clue as to why it is crashing.

konstantkarma
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Crashing - Memory issue?

Postby konstantkarma » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks! I'll do that. Last night my CPU was clocking at 100% and I attempted to take a screenshot of it - bad idea, happened again. And then later when I tried to install adblock on Firefox and it had to be restarted. I'm still pretty stupid when it comes to Linux, even though I've been using it daily for a good while.

Return to “Software & Applications”