<SOLVED>Restoring Linux Mint branded Yahoo search

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TrapperB
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>Restoring Linux Mint branded Yahoo search

Post by TrapperB »

I've switched to using Pale Moon as my primary browser and it works just like Firefox <v.29 did for everything. However, when I'm using Yahoo as my search provider I no longer get the Linux Mint branded search, and, I presume, Linux Mint is no longer getting funded by my Yahoo searches. How do I add this to my Yahoo searches so my favourite OS is getting funded?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TrapperB
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Restoring Linux Mint branded Yahoo search

Post by TrapperB »

Perhaps I should mention that Pale Moon is a fork of Mozilla Firefox v.24.
TrapperB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TrapperB »

Maybe I should also mention that in the course of a day I do a tremendous amount of research. That's a lot of Yahoo money Linux Mint isn't getting. This isn't the Mint Search Enhancer extension. I believe that is only for Google search results.

Anyone? I'm running out of giveadamn for this problem.
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

I may be wrong but I really don't think Mint care whether Yahoo pays them or not. Linux is not funded like Windows is!
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Hi Trapper.

I just opened a blank LM search page through firefox and copied the URL http://uk.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... uxmint_com

I'm assuming you can do something with this, such as add it to search engines, though I've never tried so I'm hoping you know how to do that in pale moon :lol:
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Ok done a little experimenting and, depending on how similar pale moon is to FF, you may be able to simply open the URL above and right click on the search box to get the option to either add the search engine or add a key word search for it.

Without pale moon installed thats the best I can do unfortunately :(
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Following on from WinterTroubles' idea ...

I did a full install (using pminstaller.sh method) of Pale Moon browser (in LM16 mate live usb), then tried this:

Navigate through filesystem to /usr/lib/firefox/browser/searchplugins/en-US
copy the file yahoo.xml

Go to /home folder > press Ctrl+H to show hidden files

Open the folders:
.moonchild productions > pale moon > xxxxxxxx.default (whatever name the .default folder has)

If searchplugins folder is not inside xxxxxxxx.default, create it

Open searchplugins folder > paste copy of yahoo.xml
Close folder

Restart Pale Moon browser

When you now click on Yahoo in the search box you get this instead of the generic Yahoo search:
Screenshot-Yahoo Search - Web Search - Pale Moon-1.png
To revert to normal Pale Moon yahoo search, just delete the copy of yahoo.xml in ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon/xxxxxxxx.default/searchplugins

PS. Out of curiosity, I also tried on LM16 Cinnamon install - just running Pale Moon browser (as opposed to doing the full install this time) from the other download file as per the instructions on the website:
It should be noted that it is not necessary to install Pale Moon to use it. It is distributed as an bzipped tarball which can be extracted anywhere and run by executing the "palemoon" file inside it.
Downloaded the appropriate file from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/files/24.5.0/

Extracted it in /home/user/Downloads

As above, I copied the yahoo.xml file from /usr/lib/firefox/browser/searchplugins/en-US
Went to the extracted palemoon folder > browser > searchplugins
Renamed yahoo.xml to yahoo-old.xml
Pasted the copy of yahoo.xml (from /usr/lib/firefox/browser/searchplugins/en-US) into folder

Start Pale Moon browser by clicking on palemoon file in /home/user/Downloads/palemoon

The Yahoo search was then Linux Mint branded.
TrapperB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TrapperB »

Thanks so much caribriz and WinterTroubles. I really appreciate your responses.

I found the proper yahoo.xml and copied it over to palemoon. Works perfectly. Now we just have to wait for the, I'm sure, flood of Yahoo money to come rolling in for Linux Mint.

CHEERS!
-Trapper

Return to “Software & Applications”