Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Raident
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox 29: Youtube memory leak?

Post by Raident »

Ever since I upgraded to Firefox 29, I've occasionally had Firefox's memory usage go past 4 GB when viewing a Youtube video using the HTML5 player. The problem is immediately resolved upon either closing the tab or simply navigating away to another URL, so I'm pretty sure it's Youtube. Is anybody else experiencing this?
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Firefox 29: Youtube memory leak?

Post by xenopeek »

More likely it's one of your add-ons or extensions. Watching Youtube HTML5 might trigger a problem, but generally memory problems are due to add-ons or extensions. For example Adblock Plus is known to significantly increase memory usage in websites that use iframes. There is an example of a website using up 2 GB extra memory when Adblock Plus is installed.

Try closing all your Firefox windows, and then starting Firefox with this command (from Alt+F2 or terminal):

Code: Select all

firefox -safe-mode
That runs Firefox without add-ons and extensions, so you can isolate whether this is due to website + Firefox or due to website + your add-ons or extensions.
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Firefox 29: Youtube memory leak?

Post by jazz.h »

I noticed also lagging in FF29, both in Windows and in Mint16, but I can't tell for sure if it's youtube...
In windows only - there's also some kind of spellchecker problem, when I type cursor lags.

Return to “Software & Applications”