Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
adfd1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Flash Not Working in Chromium Browser

Post by adfd1 » Sat May 24, 2014 4:23 pm

I had the same problem, removed Chromium and exchanged for this problem instead....

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=168220

obsidian_razor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by obsidian_razor » Wed May 28, 2014 5:11 am

This problem persists.

Has anyone found a solution? Is there a patch on the way?

WilhelmGGW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WilhelmGGW » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:58 am

I'm running Cinnamon 17 (final). Still have this problem and nothing I do will fix it.

Even this.. I uninstalled both pepper and adobe flash, rebooted, then installed pepper again. Flash worked fine in Chromium, but not in Firefox. So I installed adobe flash and it worked in Firefox. I used both browsers, back and forth, and everything worked fine.

Then this morning.. pepper is still working in Chromium but adobe is not working in Firefox. Go figure. This is really a mess! I hope I don't have to go back to Ubuntu just to get things to work right!

MiPr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MiPr » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:17 am

Hi,

Since this is my very first post on this forum - a warm welcome to all participants :)

I also encountered the problem with pepper flash plugin in Chromium. Strictly speaking - it works fine freshly after installing it but then, after reboot, it magically stops working. I analysed the situation a bit and concluded that pepper flash plugin installer works in a following way:

* It downloads chrome browser package,
* extracts pepper flash plugin binary as well as its version from the above package,
* installs the plugin somewhere under /usr/lib,
* finally - it modifies /etc/chromium-browser/default file by "injecting" appropriate command-line options that instruct Chromium to use the plugin.

The problem is that the /etc/chromium-browser/default file gets overwritten to a original contents - all changes/customisations are lost on next startup and therefore Chromium is not aware of the plugin (which is still installed).

Now, I tried to find what startup process or script overwrites the /etc/chromium-browser/default file but so far I failed. Any hints about it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
MiPr

MiPr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MiPr » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:58 am

Well, five minutes after I posted my previous post I found where the problem comes from: it's mint-adjust.py script which is being called during each system startup. This script applies some adjustments (see /etc/linuxmint/adjustments) and among other things - it overwrites the /etc/chromium-browser/default file with the one delivered with Linux Mint. I think that this is a bug in Linux Mint (I mean Qiana - I think it was not on Petra) - customised file should not get overwritten. Anyway I can see two temporary fixes:

1) Remove following file: /etc/linuxmint/adjustments/15-mint-artwork-gnome-chromium.overwrite and then (re)install pepper flash plugin. Removing this file will prevent overwriting the customised "default" file.

2) Install pepper flash plugin as usual, make sure that flash is working OK in Chromium and then issue following command: sudo cp /etc/chromium-browser/default /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/chromium/ - thanks to this the customisation will be "propagated" to the template which overwrites the "default" file on each startup.

Not sure which approach is the best.

WilhelmGGW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WilhelmGGW » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:23 am

Wow, what great technical work for your first posts here! Maybe you should be on the development team, or perhaps you already are.

Anyway, do you know if that dev team is working on a permanent fix -- one that will let pepper work in Chromium and adobe-flash work in Firefox, both together with each reboot? That's my issue: Getting them to both work at the same time. If I get one to work, the other doesn't. I use both browers, for different things. So not having flash work on both at the same time is a real game changer for me. [I'm also a non-techie type, so I don't do all those sophisticated terminal edits of program files and configs.]

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:09 pm

@MiPr
your findings should be communicated to Clem, either in http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2626 or, probably the fastest way, in IRC.

[ bliss of ignorance ]

MiPr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MiPr » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:13 pm

WilhelmGGW wrote:Wow, what great technical work for your first posts here! Maybe you should be on the development team, or perhaps you already are.
Thank you very much. Well, I'm not on a dev team and I'm afraid that my skills are not enough (not that I'm too dumb ;) - just permanent lack of time to learn new things).
Anyway, do you know if that dev team is working on a permanent fix -- one that will let pepper work in Chromium and adobe-flash work in Firefox, both together with each reboot? That's my issue: Getting them to both work at the same time. If I get one to work, the other doesn't. I use both browers, for different things. So not having flash work on both at the same time is a real game changer for me. [I'm also a non-techie type, so I don't do all those sophisticated terminal edits of program files and configs.]
I'm unable to to help I'm afraid because flash was working for me OK on Firefox just from installation time, although I vaguely recall that on Mint 17 RC I managed to "screw" the configuration completely and flash stopped working at all. What I can say is that Firefox and Chrome/Chromium use different flash plugins so I would carefully check if they are OK. As for Chromium - please see the solution above (BTW, Chrome did not have any problems with flash). Once you get this working you should check Firefox. In Synaptic I can see that I have following packages installed: mint-flashplugin-steam, pepperflashplugin-nonfree, adobe-flashplugin. From what I can see on https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ Firefox uses the last one (the version reported there is 11.2.202.359 - exactly as adobe-flashplugin package).
zerozero wrote:@MiPr
your findings should be communicated to Clem, either in http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2626 or, probably the fastest way, in IRC.
Thanks! I've just been thinking how to report this problem. I think I'll use the "blog" approach - I have never been using IRC :oops:

sfalcao
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sfalcao » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:28 pm

zerozero wrote:@MiPr
Thanks! I've just been thinking how to report this problem. I think I'll use the "blog" approach - I have never been using IRC :oops:
Thanks for the workaround.
:)

Lets wait for official solution

Cheers

Umbra Polaris
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Umbra Polaris » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:39 am

any idea why streamed videos (youtube and co) run slow on both FF & Chrome and like a slug in full screen?
Tri-boot : Mint 17 / Kali / Windows 8.1.1

MacLindroid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MacLindroid » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:10 am

First, use Synaptic and install Ubuntu Software Manager. It will add various repositories.

Next, install the pepperflashplugin via Synaptic or go sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin

Mine only worked after I have installed the Ubuntu software manager first.

Additionally, install Ubuntu Tweak en get the actual stable Chrome, not Chromium.
I will only beaten when I admit defeat but Eye Kant Spal Kwit

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:40 am

Hi,

Sorry about this. Fixed in mint-artwork-common 1.8.0.

anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by anandrkris » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:24 am

Thanks Clem, seems to work now after update. But i had to install pepperflashplugin...
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path

WilhelmGGW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WilhelmGGW » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:35 am

Works great now for me, too! I guess someone can mark this topic [SOLVED]. Pepper with Chromium. Salt (aka Adobe) with Firefox. Who would have thought? Now both browsers hook up with the flash they need.

Redsandro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Redsandro » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:47 am

So, basically, Mint has a crude method of overwriting some stuff on boot for branding and such?
What does mint-flash do? Something crucial or also some rebranding?
🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:49 am

Redsandro wrote:So, basically, Mint has a crude method of overwriting some stuff on boot for branding and such?
What does mint-flash do? Something crucial or also some rebranding?
Flash is used to display web content, such as video.. There is no such thing as mint-flash, it simply appears that there was a bug causing the issue detailed in this topic and Clem managed to correct the bug, the bug fix was contained in the update mint-artwork-common 1.8.0.. That doesn't mean, however, that the issue was actually with the artwork for mint.
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Redsandro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Redsandro » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:00 pm

WinterTroubles wrote:
Redsandro wrote:What does mint-flash do? Something crucial or also some rebranding?
There is no such thing as mint-flash
There is a mint specific flash package. Be careful claiming stuff if you are unsure.

In fact, in the past it was quite ambiguous with the following packages in the repositories:

adobe-flashplugin
flashplugin-installer
flashplugin-nonfree
mint-flashplugin

This has caused trouble for me in the past.

It appears that with Mint 17, we now have the following packages:

adobe-flashplugin
flashplugin-installer
flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound
mint-flashplugin-10.2
mint-flashplugin-steam
pepperflashplugin-nonfree

I was just wondering if the respective mint-flash package is the original flash package with some branding (i.e. artwork), or something less trivial for the system.
the bug fix was contained in the update mint-artwork-common 1.8.0.. That doesn't mean, however, that the issue was actually with the artwork for mint.
The issue was with the way certain 'artwork' is applied, e.g. by overwriting configuration files from Ubuntu packages after every reboot:

Code: Select all

$ dpkg-query -L mint-artwork-common |grep overwrite
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/15-mint-artwork-gnome-splash-screens.overwrite
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/15-mint-artwork-gnome-opera.overwrite
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/15-mint-artwork-gnome-cups.overwrite
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/15-mint-artwork-gnome-chromium.overwrite
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/15-mint-logos.overwrite
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/15-mint-motd.overwrite
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/15-mint-artwork-gnome-sound.overwrite
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/15-mint-mime.overwrite
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/15-mint-artwork-gnome-firefox.overwrite
Hence my reasonable question about it's functionality. I guess the "on every boot" part was the bug.

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Redsandro

My apologies and thank you for the mildly patronising response. I learned something and am grateful.

If I may make the slightly pedantic point that a mint-flash package or plugin is not the same thing as 'mint-flash' and hence I made the error of believing you were speaking of flash in the sense of protocol/code rather than a downloadable plugin/package which I personally had no reason to know existed.

My apologies for misunderstanding the question and attempting to answer it to the best of my knowledge.

Oh by the way, I don't have the mint-flash plugin installed on my system and it runs well, so I would assume it doesn't do anything critical and is an alternative rather than a necessity.. But, as proved above, what do I know :lol:
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Redsandro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Redsandro » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:01 pm

In your defense, after I reread the last few posts I notice how I blindly assume mint-something implies a mint-specific package (like mint-artwork*), but that's just egocentric thinking because there's no metadata included with my words that describe what I mean with them specifically.

I apologize for misjudging your reply. :mrgreen:

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Redsandro wrote: I apologize for misjudging your reply. :mrgreen:
Many thanks for you generous apology, it's greatly appreciated.. and I repeat my thanks for having learned something from you :D

It would seem that we both made assumptions.. mine was that your question was based upon some confusion, where as some of the confusion was actually mine.. So please accept my apologies, in return, for the 'attitude' that no doubt showed through in my previous post.

My best wishes to you Redsandro
And next time we meet on here may we understand each other a little better :mrgreen:

WT
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “Software & Applications”