downloading pictures from my cell phone

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

downloading pictures from my cell phone

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I'm using the Lenovo computer at the bottom here with linux mint 17 cinnamon.
And a Samsung Galaxy Note III

I have contacted Samsung And Verizon and both say it's NOT MY PROBLEM.
I received an update on my phone and since that the pictures on my phone will not transfer to this computer . They will to my wife's windows laptop but when i try to load them on this computer it says This.
Could not open input stream for file
and if I use a USB stick to download from it works but won't take them off the phone .

in a gray black and red window with the file name in it ..... I would post the window here I took a screen shot of it but don't know how to post that in here. Well I put it on photobucket at this Address

http://s220.removed/user/tbrownarcher/m ... 7.png.html

This makes no sense. They are just *.jpg files and samsung and Verizon say it's the computer but it was ok until the update. I don't get it
Can someone help me ?

thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Re: downloading pictures from my cell phone

Post by bjornmu »

I use an app called airdroid which, among other things, lets you copy pictures between your computer and the phone. No cables needed and it works best if the phone in connected by wifi to the same local network as your computer. On the computer, all you need is a web browser though I think some functionality only works with chrome (unless fixed in a newer version).

I can recommend airdoid, which I also used to copy all my ripped CD's to my Sony Xperia Z.
moogyd

Post by moogyd »

Hi,
Cannot answer your direct problem, but I use Dropbox - automatically uploads pictures from phone to dropbox and then pushes to PC - hassle free.
Steven
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Ok! I have used the nemo file manager for years . Why can't i use it (and i can't) NOW?
I have always simply used the cell phone just like a usb stick . It would always just light up Nemo and i could drag and drop or copy or delete or whatever ? NOT NOW

Thanks,
Nate
Roodog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roodog »

From a thread in LinuxHospital:
Re: Cannot open Android camera JPGs: Failed to open input stream

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
Not totally true. Instead of relying on USB Mass Storage Android is now using MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) to transfer media to other systems. (For those who care, it was a decision made during the Honeycomb release cycle to help with partitioning internal and external storage and which ones are seen by other systems.) When I need to push or pull media to my devices I use a native program, gMTP. I believe it's in the Ubuntu repositories.
Give it a shot, works like a charm for me!
hth
Mint 21.1 64gb Desktop intel 4core i5-2500
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Roodog

This is the same as mine? I guess my last post was wrong/misleading . Mine reads the files on the phone/camera but
it won't transfer the file. It gives the name of the file i just tried to transfer but won't complete the task. Does your post apply
to my problem then?

If so then i'm not exactly sure what to do.
Is that file gMTP , on linux mint 17 or is it only in Ubuntu. Is it completely compatible with lM 17 Or do I have to do something to it ?
How do I access Ubuntu Repositories. Or is that automatic when i use the Synaptic ?

Thanks,
Nate

Return to “Software & Applications”