os-releas and rkhunter - no mail on warning:resolved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grumpus

os-releas and rkhunter - no mail on warning:resolved

Post by grumpus »

Installed Linux Mint 16 64bit and installed the 1.4.03 version of Rkhunter with mailx and postfix.
Modified rkhunter.conf for the proper release file name and when manually triggering rkhunter get mail at both the user name and root.
Unfortunately, though rkhunter is listed in the cron job files for daily and weekly there is no local mail generated auto matically.
Any thoughts on what is missed would help?

secondly
The os-release file has nothing in it of Linux Mint, the whole file is Ubuntu, shouldn't this refer to Linux Mint 16, Petra?
grumpus

Re: os-releas and rkhunter - no mail on warning:resolved

Post by grumpus »

What I found: (the only change was to change comment from null or no to yes
RKhunter file was not set properly in the /etc/defaults/rkhunter file during the install. (from the repository)
What I checked:
cron.d; cron.daily, ancron file in cron. daily and 0nacron file plus rkhunter.conf.

I also noted chkrootkit kept going on about /etc/init being infected with suckit, this is a false read.
Also found where one of the other distributions was having an issue with root being deleted, this was due to the chkrootkit script being missing from the /etc/default folder.
De-constructed init and it ain't there plus rkhunter doesn't see it with the skdet feature engaged.

rkhunter 1.4.2 is available in a tar but you need to remove the older version if I understand the install instructions.
galeforce
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Rkhunter - no mail on warning: new issue

Post by galeforce »

This is a similar issue with the same softwareRkhunter is performing fine and creating a log but the mail process is not working.
This is with Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2.
For some reason postfix is not following through.
Settings checked and double checked and are same as Linux Mint Mate 20.2
Default file checked, postfix reconfigured and it appears to make the call to /bin/mail (etc)
Early error showed in initial setup for mail as no permission except for root which is where it's supposed to go.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
"Digital commerce and finance require an honesty not evident in all humans and ignored by computers."
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Rkhunter - no mail on warning: new issue

Post by Moem »

galeforce wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:23 am Any thoughts would be appreciated.
As a moderator, I think that you should make a new topic and include a link to this old one for reference if you wish.
Topic locked, since it's way past its sell-by date.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”