Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sap
Level 1
Level 1

[mint 17] 3 annoying bugs: wallpaper reset, tray icon, hidpi

Post by sap » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:45 am

Hello,

so i just updated to mint 17, with nvidia optimus (bumblebee) working perfectly with proprietary drivers.
here are some of my cinnamon settings:
- desktop effects disabled
- default fonts with 1.2 scaling
- user interface scaling set to auto
- everything is updated

everything is perfect except 3 random bugs:
- once in a while wallpaper resets to default on reboot - basically in average 1 every 5 reboots the wallpaper resets to the default one instead of using the one i want. any ideia what it could be?

- pidgin tray icon sometimes works, sometimes doesnt - when it doesnt work i have to go to pidgin settings, disable tray icon and enable it again for it to work. it only happens the first time i start pidgin after a reboot. but other tray programs works fine even if i start them first (like qbittorrent, the tray icon shows with no problem).

- QtCreator sometimes has its interface scaled, sometimes its really small - this is my biggest issue, sometimes QtCreator (and any application i build using it) starts with the interface scaled and sometimes its really small (like with no hidpi support), heres a screenshot, on the top is QtCreator with no scaling on its menus, on the bottom is qbittorrent (another Qt app) but its menus are scaled like it should be: http://i.imgur.com/lwHsOmb.png

please any help with these issues is very welcome
thanks in advance.

comedybob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [mint 17] 3 annoying bugs: wallpaper reset, tray icon, h

Post by comedybob » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:24 am

EDIT: I previously suggested that libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a had fixed the issue with Pidgin's system tray icon, but that was completely incorrect. Apologies for the confusion. I am also finding this issue and have not found a solution yet.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

[mint 17] user wallpaper randomly reset to default wallpaper

Post by karlchen » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Hello, sap.

In general it is better to create 1 thread per suspected bug in order to prevent the common thread from turning into a confusing mess.
Apart from this general remark:
sap wrote:- once in a while wallpaper resets to default on reboot - basically in average 1 every 5 reboots the wallpaper resets to the default one instead of using the one i want.
Confirmed.
Experienced this phenomenon today. Cannot tell whether this was on reboot #5 after I had changed my wallpaper to my own .jpg-file, but today on the second reboot the wallpaper had been reverted back to /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint/default_background.jpg.

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:46 am

Confirmed, on first load Pidgin's tray icon is hidden but there is a space for it. If you close Pidgin and then restart it the icon shows up fine.

craigmcfly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by craigmcfly » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:58 am

Same here - since upgrading from 16 to 17, there's a blank space when I load pidgin on the tray. I have to go to Preferences and alternate between showing the tray icon Never/Always to get it back

rotanibod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rotanibod » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:17 am

craigmcfly wrote: I have to go to Preferences and alternate between showing the tray icon Never/Always to get it back
resizing the panel works as well to get the icon back.
this bug is really annoying, because I have to use pidgin a lot!

comedybob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by comedybob » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:30 am

In the past few weeks I've also noticed that the tray icon bug affects other applications. I've seen it occur with Guake terminal, and Shutter.

rotanibod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rotanibod » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:31 pm

cinnamon seems to have problems with some pidgin icons. when starting pidgin, the "connect" icon appears normally, but cinnamon doesn't show it. when resizing panel, changing theme or similar actions brings the normal icon back, because it seems to be reloaded. when you receive a new message and you have "blink on new message" enabled in pidgin, the icon is likely to disappear again. cinnamon seems to have problems handling the changing of the icon to generate a blink effect. when you tunr "blink on new message" off, the icon should be well as long as pidgin tries to load icons cinnamon can't handle. you can reproduce this by disconnect your internet connection and reconnect again. pidgin will try to show the icons of "connecting" which is one of the icons cinnamon can't handle, and therefore the icon disappears again.

VelhoP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VelhoP » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:39 am

I have the wallpaper bug too.

And the tray icon bug also happens to everpad, indicator-cpufreq and indicator-keylock.

tommywright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommywright » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:27 pm

I also have the wallpaper bug. It has happened to me twice now, today being the latest. The strange thing about today is that I left my computer on for several hours and came back to it just now to see the default wallpaper. I'm not sure if it reset itself or what but this just happened. The other time was a random boot. I was trying to remember if I had booted Windows 7 first or if I went straight into LM17. I cannot remember but here are my changes to the default Mint:

I dual boot with Windows 7 (not a change but worth noting)
I have an image in my grub2 and it runs at 1024x768
I use the Void Theme
I use 3 monitors and span a background across all 3
I run the proprietary nvidia drivers (latest stable)

Everything else is default and I just installed LM17 maybe 2 weeks ago. Hope this helps.

*EDIT:
I just tested something out and I have a much much worse bug attached to this. I had this same but under Ubuntu 14.04. When this wallpaper thing happens, I have a HUGE delay on boot. Nothing is accessible and my mouse does not work for about 4 minutes. Then the mouse will start working but I have to wait another 2 or 3 minutes for the keyboard to function. I found this bug originally on the Ubuntu forums and the solution, strangely, is to pull the power cord out of your power supply for a minute or so and plug the machine back in. Sounds crazy but this actually worked for both my Ubuntu install AND this one. I can put up with this as long as it's super infrequent but that is a major issue. I'll see if I can report it somewhere else or if it's already reported to link it here.

One more thing to note is that my icons were default Ubuntu icons while this event was happening (before I literally pull the plug). After I unplug and reboot, I have my mint icons back. I noticed this the first time also. Very strange.

Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:37 am

On Mint 17.1 here, and I have the wallpaper bug now. Never had it before upgrading. Also I am getting some error messages if I use Chrome, close it, then shut down the system (I tend to do this daily). If I use Firefox, then alternatively this will result in a long pause before the system shuts down.

buteman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by buteman » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:45 pm

I have a problem with the system tray which appears to be caused by vlc.
I can play songs by launching vlc from a python/tkinter script I wrote and can do it over and over again but after so long all the icons in the tray disappear. If I hover the mouse over where one should be such as the sound settings and click on it a big empty bubble pops up as normal but it is blank. If I click on the menu option I just get a large blank area pop up. Hovering the mouse where the shutdown icon should appear gives a small blank area. If I click on that then the normal shutdown menu appears.

vl1969
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vl1969 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:38 pm

I have the wallpaper bug on a clean install of 17.1 Rebecca. Just stating to happen lasy week. Any hope of a fix?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

borkaa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by borkaa » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:51 pm

I have the wallpaper bug too... :(
PLease fix it.
Very frustrating.
It reset itself to the deafult mint background, after a time.

xumaomao
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xumaomao » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:54 pm

I have the same wallpaper problem too.

I just came up with a probably not so descent workaround: what if we go to /usr/share/backgrounds/, and change the file name of the image you want to use as the wallpaper, to the name of the default image (linux_mint_17.png?, after backing up)?

I just implemented it and will see how this works.

nascar64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nascar64 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:42 pm

got the wallpaper bug too but it don't reset to default ,it's reset to something all screwup and can not replace to same wallpaper right away but like the second or so then is okay,me happen after coming from suspend.Ray

charlieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by charlieg » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:58 pm

I think you can solve the tray icon issue by using an alternative tray.

I found this one had no issues with pidgin or other apps as pidgin wasn't the only one for me:
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/154

IcaXaca
Level 1
Level 1

The wallpaper issue.

Post by IcaXaca » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:14 am

I had the same idea as one other guy on this thread, and to fix the issue of the wallpaper reverting to default, went to the backgrounds folder, opened it in root, pasted my wallpaper, deleted the original and renamed the new one to linux_mint_17. png. However, this hasn't worked out for me. A complete report of the bugs this might generate will only be apparent once I reboot the system. For now, the background selector is still the same, with the only difference that there is no wallpaper being shown in the linux mint default category. :|

snowisgone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snowisgone » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Has there been any update or any solutions found with the randomly auto-resetting-to-default-wallpaper behavior?

I'm writing a script that automates changing wallpapers, but it doesn't work very well with this bug. Any suggestions for getting around this issue?

xumaomao
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xumaomao » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:08 am

xumaomao wrote:I have the same wallpaper problem too.

I just came up with a probably not so descent workaround: what if we go to /usr/share/backgrounds/, and change the file name of the image you want to use as the wallpaper, to the name of the default image (linux_mint_17.png?, after backing up)?

I just implemented it and will see how this works.
To update my own post: I went on to replace the default image (linux_mint_17.png) with another one, and the trick works: the selected wallpaper got diaplayed after resume.

Return to “Software & Applications”