Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
caz
Level 4
Level 4

No sound, Libre Office Impress.

Post by caz » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried out Libre Office Impress on Mint 17 Mate. The sound was working fine when I was using Mint 16 but after installing Mint 17 there's no sound when I run a slide show in Impress. If I add new sound effects to each slide it doesn't work.
Sounds work fine in all other applications on Mint 17 so it's just Impress that has the no sound fault.
Any info, or a fix, for this problem is much appreciated.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/

Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: No sound, Libre Office Impress.

Post by Kalyk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:43 pm

Sorry, no solution but I second you on the problem.
Just tried it on my Mint 17 Cinnamon, but when trying a ppt-file of which I know there is sound it didn't let me hear anything.
Strange thing is in all of the menu's I don't see any option which could help.
Also searched for any answer on other sites, but nothing yet.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone with this problem. I think it might be a bug with the version supplied with Mint 17 as I have noticed that the media player in Impress doesn't seem to recognise any file types, well at least ogg and wav file types which it says are not supported, which seems a bit weird.
This post might be an answer, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=169752 , but I'm not sure how to change the values for pulseaudio.

olalind
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No sound, Libre Office Impress-SOLVED

Post by olalind » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:50 am

Same problem here.
Open synaptic. Install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg. Then sound in Impress is OK.

caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks for the info , olalind. I already had gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg installed, so I reinstalled it just in case there was a problem with the original version but there was no change and so still no sounds for the slide transitions.

What I have discovered is that if libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gst is installed then the media player will stop throwing up a warning about file formats not being supported. I can now also add a .wav music file to play over a slideshow, as in adding it as other sound in the slide transition section. But as of yet I have been unable to get any of the pre-installed slide transition sounds to work. This could maybe be a problem with the sound files themselves, but I have yet to be able to locate where Impress stores these files on my system so that I can have a look at them and see if anything looks wrong

If anyone knows where Impress stores the sound transition files I would be grateful for any directions.

phipo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phipo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Had the same problem here. Mint 17 Cinnamon 32bit on acer EeePc and on a MacBook .
The solution was in both cases installing the following package in synaptic: libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer

caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:49 am

Thanks, phipo. I already had libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer installed. It cured the problem of not being able to add a soundtrack to the slide show but failed to get the sound transitions working, at least for me.

a_alberda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by a_alberda » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:47 am

I solved in this way the Impress bug (Mint 17) after many trial and errors in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

Then I got the message to autoremove a large amount of files. So I copy/paste those mentioned files:

sudo apt-get autoremove ... (copy/pasted large amount of mentioned files where the dots are here)

And after that I had to practice the last commandline:

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer

Testing Impress with inserting a media file worked pretty well

caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Thanks for the info, a alberda. Adding the files suggested will get the sound to work for a slide show but not the sounds that are associated with the slide transition sound effects. On my system, Mate 17, for some unknown reason there are no files stored for the transition sounds. So although they are listed in Impress it is impossible to play the sounds as they are not present on my hdd. I have no idea as to why Impress installed without the needed transition sound files but it did. They are suppose to be in a folder called Gallery, when I checked this folder it was empty. It's no big deal though.

a.bowers
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a.bowers » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:00 pm

I fixed this problem with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libreoffice
I guess not all of the packages for libreoffice get installed with the operating system ISO.

Return to “Software & Applications”