Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
stewie
Level 1
Level 1

Can't use Audacity

Post by stewie »

I've tried everything from changing repos adding repos etc aduacity installs but I keep get this?

paul@paul ~ $ audacity
audacity: error while loading shared libraries: libid3tag.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
Hack The Planet

mintbreath
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't use Audacity

Post by mintbreath »

Installed the Linuxmint 17 MATE, 64-bit package, after trying the 32-bit package on the same machine. The 64-bit version was a complete install, over the 32-bit version (i.e. the 32-bit version was destroyed). Audacity ran fine with the 32-bit package, but failed to load properly with the 64-bit version. Both packages were installed from the same APT repository. When loading the 64-bit version from the command line in a terminal, the following error occured:
~ $ audacity
(process:4332): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised
(process:4332): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised
(process:4332): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised
(process:4332): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised

Further investigation lead to the solution to the problem: The previous 32-bit version's user files (i.e. the "home" directory) had been backed-up using the Mint backup/restore application and restored to the 64-bit installation. This "good practice" tactic led to the fact that the hidden files for the previous audacity application were added to the home directory when the user files were restored. The latter hidden directory caused the failure noted above. The 64-bit version of Audacity now works correctly.

I guess the moral to this story is that the best intentions and practices can also lead to disaster, no matter how hard one tries. Be sure you don't have any previous hidden configuration files lurking in your home directory!

Return to “Software & Applications”