Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kelvin273
Level 1
Level 1

LibreOffice won't start (Solved)

Post by kelvin273 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:27 am

I installed Linux Mint 17 64-bit a couple of days ago and finally got around to trying to use it. After restoring my home folder from the backup I made before installation, I found that I couldn't start LibreOffice. Whenever I clicked on either the panel icon I had created or the shortcut in the menu, I got the following "Fatal Error" message:
The application cannot be started.
[context="tmp"] caught unexpected com.sun.star.ucb.InteractiveAugmentedIOException: a folder could not be created
I'm not sure if this inability to create folders is a result of an old file from my backup or a bug in Cinnamon (I had no such troubles with Mint 17 MATE Edition, but I didn't have enough files to create a separate backup for it). Does anyone have any clues about the cause of the problem or any possible solutions?
Last edited by kelvin273 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ktheking
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LibreOffice won't start

Post by ktheking » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:50 am

1. You might not have copied the .xxxx folders from your old profile. Check this
2. UID/GID : You might have copied across files/folders with uid's/gid's that are not the same on your new system, prohibiting software to alter files in certain folders.
Try to re-apply the proper ownerhips of the files and folders in your home directory.
It's not because you have the same usersname , that you'll get the same uid.
Files :

Code: Select all

#find $HOME -type f -exec ls -lnrt {} \;
Directories :

Code: Select all

#find $HOME -type d -exec ls -lnrt {} \;

ajgreeny
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ajgreeny » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:00 am

Try starting LO after renaming the old profile folder, which is presumably ~/.config/libreoffice,just as it is in Ubuntu.

That will prove whether or not it is a user profile problem, and you can then decide where to go from there.

kelvin273
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kelvin273 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:24 pm

Renaming the profile folder worked. It looks like the old folder had subfolders for Libreoffice 3 and 4, both of which were locked. The new one has one folder for LibreOffice 4, which is open for editing.

Thanks for the help.

999mintie
Level 1
Level 1

LibreOffice won't start (Solution for Mint 17?)

Post by 999mintie » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:24 am

Hi

Newbie here. I understand the solution described below. I have the same problem with a new installation on Mint 17 to which I restored flies and programs in accord with the tutorial, which might have caused multiple profiles.

Mint 17 doesn't seem to have an easily found .config directory and neither of the suggested terminal # for files and directories did anything.

I am probably missing the obvious. I am used to windows explorer which provides directory trees. The profile problem is the most likely cause, if I can find where the profile is. A step by step instruction to fix would be most appreciated.

Thanks

999mintie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LibreOffice won't start (Solved)

Post by 999mintie » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:47 am

Solved again. I forgot that the directories were hidden in HOME. Changed profile and all works.

revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Post by revdjenk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:19 pm

As this thread helped me, let me clarify...

In your /home directory: press and hold Ctrl while hitting H
locate the .config folder
Open this directory and find the Libreoffice Folder
right click on this folder and choose Rename, and make it oldLibreoffice (for example) hit enter

now open libreoffice as you would normally and it should start!
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

stetsujin269
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stetsujin269 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:41 pm

Renaming that Libre Office Folder worked for me. It is mysterious how the data in that folder was OK one day and not the next. Thanks for the fix.

Return to “Software & Applications”