installing wine removes nvidia package

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

installing wine removes nvidia package

Post by frisil »

Hi,
I'm just trying the new Mint Qiana 64 kde. I installed the proprietary nvidia drivers and when I install playonlinux or wine (I want to use it for the windows steam client), nvidia-libopencl1-331 gets removed. Will that break my system or proper nvidia support? Or is this component not very important and I can go without?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: installing wine removes nvidia package

Post by karlchen »

Hello, frisil.

You have come across a known bug. I admit I am not quite sure whether the fault is on the Wine side or on the NVidia side. But it is a known bug and being worked upon: [Solved] Wine not compatible with nvidia-304 driver in Qiana Do not let yourself be confused by the tag "[solved]".
This only means the OP has solved his problem, not that the general bug itself has been fixed already, though bugfixes seem to be on their way ...
If you want to know the state of bug-fixing, you my like to read these Launpad bugreports:
+ wine1.6-i386 recommends of ocl-icd-libopencl1 is making it uninstallable on nvidia due to conflict with libopencl1
+ [SRU] nvidia-opencl-icd-* should not conflicts/replaces on opencl-icd

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

FWIW, I have wine and nvidia 331.38 both installed and working*, and don't have any "*libopencl1-331*" files.

*Edit: mint 17 xfce
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frisil »

Thanks for the info, Karl, although it means I'll stay away from Qiana until this is resolved.

Damn, I was so looking forward to the new Mint and now this is the ultimate showstopper: I mainly need nvidia acceleration to play windows games!

@Flemur: The posts Karl linked to pointed out that at the moment it's either full nvidia support OR wine, not both. Are you sure everything works without the lib that gets uninstalled?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, frisil.

The second Launchpad bugreport holds a list of affected NVidia driver packages. Some of them have been set to status "fixed". It is, however, not really obvious from the Launchpad page whether the fixed drivers have already been included in the normal repositories for Ubuntu 14.04 (Mint 17) or whether it is necessary to include some PPA or to download them manually. At least I have not found out, yet.

When I selected nvidia-331 (331.38) for installation inside Synaptic yesterday, Synaptic still wanted to uninstall Wine because of one conflicting library.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
ennoborg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ennoborg »

I hit this problem first time today on 17.1, when I found that wine stopped working after installing the nVidia 331.38 drivers. A message on winehq suggested that wine could be installed safe anyway, and indeed, I see no adverse effects of wine removing nvidia-libopencl1-331.

But for me, the big question is, can I expect any such effects? I can't remember seeing this on 17, but this thread suggests that it was there, and on 17.1 it still is.

thanks,

Enno

Return to “Software & Applications”