Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

nemo sort error: bug or feature?

Post by johnb0647 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:59 am

When I use torrent client to download a big collection of files but only want a few, a <filename>.<filetype>.part file is created for every file in the collection, even if I have marked it "Do not download". The files are order alpha sort by <filename> by default. In order to get rid of the fragments I expect to be able to use the file manager (nemo) to click on the "sort" button at the top of the <file type> column and have it sort into order by <filetype>.

Such as:

file1.odt
file3.odt
file5.odt
file2.odt.part
file4.odt.part
etc.

Then I can easily select and delete the ".part" pieces. But it actually ignores the ".part" as if it were not there and produces:

file1.odt
file2.odt.part
file3.odt
file4.odt.part
file5.odt

Is this a bug or a "feature"?

Using LM17 and all updates.

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Re: nemo sort error: bug or feature?

Post by WinterTroubles » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:30 am

Hi johnb0647

I'm using Mint17Cinn32bit and when I open nemo and select list view I don't have a column labelled 'file type', in preferences I have the following 'type' columns available 'type', 'detailed type', 'MIME type'.

I believe that the '.part' you wish to sort by is not actually a 'type' in the same way that '.odt' is, rather it's a description added to the file name.

If you open nemo in the directory where these files are stored and then use the search option to search for '.part' it should return a list of all you '.part' files within that directory. not having any .part files on my system at present I can't test this directly, however, I have tested it with other file types and it works for me.

Hope this helps
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “Software & Applications”