Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ashfaq
Level 2
Level 2

Nemo in Mint-17

Post by ashfaq »

Earlier, on right clicking, "Open as root" and "Open in terminal" Options were available in Nemo. But I failed to find this in Mint-17 Cinnamon. Am I missing something? Or I am right about this. Well some one just help me tweak in to get this two options in my Nemo file manager. Thanks in advance!

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Nemo in Mint-17

Post by kyphi »

Using Linux Mint 17 64bit Cinnamon, Nemo 2.2.2.
Right click shows, among others, "Open as Root" and "Open in Terminal".

Purge and then re-install nemo?
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

ashfaq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashfaq »

Yes Now I got it, Thanks a lot dear, re-installing helped!

callagg2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by callagg2 »

I did a search for Nemo on the forums before adding my comments, don't want to start a new thread when one already exists - and this one on Nemo exists!!

I saw someone being very negative about Nemo today on Clem's Monthly News for March (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2790)
As Clem said, the user gave no constructive criticism.
So, I took a look at Nemo to see if I could understand why the user was so negative, and I must say.
Though I use Nemo on a daily basis, I never truly examined the different options. It's excellent!!
I discovered the "Toggle location Entry"; the "View" followed by "Extra Pane"; "File" followed by "New Tab"; Hide the Sidebar; "Show Treeview" and "Show Places" - though I must admit the icon for "Show Places" is not intuitive in my opinion.

If i was to suggest Improvements to Nemo 2.4.5 they would be:

File Preview
Under "View" I can select "Extra Pane" which I find fantastic when copying between folders.
But in the extra pane, i would also like to be able to preview my files (yes tile view sometimes previews image files but not video - well not when VLC is the default video player).
For example in my email client, you have a list of emails, and over to the right, you have a preview window of your emails.It would be nice to have a lightweight browser to appear in the "extra pane" when you click on a file. The browser could then try and give a preview of the jpg, png, webm or mp4 file (any html5 compliant format). I hate having to open video files in VLC to see more about what is in them - VLC takes a we to launch.
I'm not sure if this person was thinking the saem here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=118713

Tabbing between Folders
I find that tabbing between files and folders does not work. If under Home, I click on Pictures, and press the down arrow arrow, the cursor should more to Videos, but it does not. Instead it moves to the RIGHT over to where my files are listed. Surely this should happen if I press TAB (or right arrow). What is worse, I cannot tab back to the list under Home without using my mouse. You would think that is it CTRL + TAB, but that does not work (nor left arrow).

Horizontal Scrolling
Under "View" I can select "Extra Pane"
I now have two panes of files, but there is no horizontal scrollbar in each window, I think there should be. I have to zoom out to see long file names and date created.

Ability to Pause Copying
Sometimes you start copying a large file/folder and then realise than you prefer to copy something else in the meantime to the SAME external device. You don't want to open a second Nemo window and starting copying in that window, because both iterations of Nemo are still copying to the same device. It would be great to have an ability to pause the original copy job, and start the second job in another iteration of Nemo. Then afterwards, return to the original window and resume the copying.

Able to create Shortcut on Start Menu
In Nemo, I would like to be able to right click on an executible file and be able to create a shortcut to add it on the Start(Menu). I see there is a work around here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... mo#p978222
This is also relevant http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... mo#p916757

Return to “Software & Applications”