Backup Tool

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Backup Tool

Post by pcpunk »

I really want to backup my files so that I can change my partitioning and add a /home partition to make it easier to re-install later. This will allow me to play around a bit and not worry so much about loosing all my settings and software. I tried the included "Backup Tool" that comes with LMM17 but ran into some issues with an error message. I also tried the Luckybackup Tool that I installed in the "Software Manager" but it was way to complicated for me. I know there are many tools that can do this but I can't waste any more time trying to use these confounded programs. I will include the thread were I am discussing my new install(at the point of this particular question) but I wanted this thread to keep it organized and easy for me and others to find. This should be an easy task but I am finding it not to be in Linux.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 62#p899362
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
proxima_centauri

Re: Backup Tool

Post by proxima_centauri »

I'd just like to add you can create and transfer /home to a new /home partition using a LiveCD.

A quick google search "ubuntu create new /home partition" should give some tutorials. For instance -> http://www.maketecheasier.com/move-home-folder-ubuntu/
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

proxima_centauri wrote:I'd just like to add you can create and transfer /home to a new /home partition using a LiveCD.

A quick google search "ubuntu create new /home partition" should give some tutorials. For instance -> http://www.maketecheasier.com/move-home-folder-ubuntu/
Am I missing something here, I know how to create a /home partition, the question is how do I backup my current "home file" and then add it to the new install? Right now I have a "root/" and a "swap", what I want is root/, swap, and /home.
Here is my current setup:
http://i976.removed/albums/ae248/jetman ... 6ed24e.png

And here is the Error Message I got with the LinuxMintMate Backup tool.
http://i976.removed/albums/ae248/jetman ... b4b6bf.png
Super Clean Runs Perfect
proxima_centauri

I realize I'm not answering your original question, but I'm just pointing out if you don't need to reinstall, you can simply create /home partition and transfer your files without a backup on the fly.
proxima_centauri

TO make a backup, see the following command

Code: Select all

sudo rsync -ax --exclude='/*/.gvfs' /home/ /WhereBackupFolderIs
"/wherebackupfolderis" refers to the location where you want to send the backup
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Thanks!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

proxima_centauri wrote:I realize I'm not answering your original question, but I'm just pointing out if you don't need to reinstall, you can simply create /home partition and transfer your files without a backup on the fly.
You are saying that I could create a /home file in my current install without re-installing? And then transfer my files from where, root/ to the new /home partition? Or you are just saying IF ONE HAS A /HOME PARTITION THEN THEY CAN JUST COPY AND SAVE SOMEWHERE ON THE FLY. This is simply not clear enough for a beginner.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Let me tell you guys who support this OS, it is maddening to not be able to get some easy clear instructions. I just went to backup my "Software" with the Backup Tool, as some have said that it will do this well, but nothing else. Now I don't see the file that it backed up to? I think this tool is junk and should not even be in the system. If it is to be distributed with the O.S. then there should be some instructions with it as to what it will and won't do. It freezes and I don't even have any crazy stuff on my linux partition. All I want to do is backup and I can't, this is no way to get people to use Linux? Now I will have to get into Windows and backup something with Macrium Reflect. Even if I get something backed up I still don't know what to do with it? Do I need to reformat the partitions and then use the dysfunctional Backup Tool to try and restore all my settings? Or will I be able to do this with my dreaded windows macrium reflect even more safely.
I am going to try LuckyBackup also just to make sure I got something.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

This is what I got with the backup tool as seen from windows, can someone tell me anything about this or should this tool just be aborted.
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Software & Applications”