cd command won't! [Resolved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PussyCat

cd command won't! [Resolved]

Post by PussyCat »

Preamble - This query refers to Helena (Gnome 64bit).  This is being reinstalled to a couple of machines - and, more or less, successfully
 updated (another thread) because Maya (also installed) doesn't cope with the graphics.  Helena also remains my favourite Mint.  Hence,
 no side issues on the futility of pursuing Helena please.

Anyway, a problem I've never encountered before with any version/distro.- the cd command wont work!

Code: Select all

chris@Toshiba ~ $ ls
Bookmarks  Documents  Music     Public     Themes  Wallpapers
Desktop    Downloads  Pictures  Templates  Videos
chris@Toshiba ~ $ cd Downloads
cd Downloads: command not found
This does not happen on a parallel install on another machine (though they do share a problem with FF24 - another issue) and am wondering if it
 is some sort of permissions problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

Have you tried executing cd as root or trying as a different user? (more to see if it's a messed up $PATH rather than permissions)
DrHu

Re: cd command won't!

Post by DrHu »

Your shell command ls worked
cd is also a built-in shell command (bash usually)
--apart from the comments below, I would also make sure it is not just the specific cd command, so I would try

cd /
cd /etc/
ls - l
Any of these working ?

----------------------I would start with

pwd
which shell
echo $SHELL
--to check your path and which shell (which or echo to show) you seem to be running on the system.
http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_cd.htm
--then I would start looking at bash commands to see if they seem to be working or not.

And what happens when you would type

/bin/bash
-- in a terminal
PussyCat

Post by PussyCat »

Thank you for your replies.

Yes it is odd that ls works but cd does not. Also that parallel install accepts cd command.

However, I think a clue lies in a parallel thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=170762.

On yet another machine that was updated via Synaptic earlier (a few months ago) without repo errors, there are no such problems and FF24 also works, so believe the incomplete updates have contributed. Therefore, am going to create an AptOnCd iso from that to "fully" update these errant installs - hopefully!
PussyCat

Post by PussyCat »

It would seem my suspicions were correct and this problem (and others) were a result of incomplete update - as outlined in another thread.

Anyway, used AptOnCd from another machine which seems to have brought the errant installs "up to date" - enough to get FF28, Opera 12.16 and HPLip 3.14.6 working (and, of course, cd command)!

Return to “Software & Applications”