Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jgagnon
Level 1
Level 1

Update Manager not showing everything?

Post by jgagnon »

Update Manager (LM17 XFCE) was showing that my system was up to date even after a refresh. However,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
showed that there were 30 or so updates (looked like some systemd stuff and other things). I went ahead and upgraded even though Update Manager was not showing the updates. My system seems fine.

Is Update Manager not using APT? Should I only be updating through UM or is using apt-get ok too? Are there any issues with switching between the two?

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Update Manager not showing everything?

Post by PatH57 »

Mint update manager is just a bit more cautious about level 4 and 5 updates but would do the same if you enable them (it safe most of the time except if you modified your kernel or use "proprietary" settings or drivers)
Update Manager preferences.png
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

jgagnon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jgagnon »

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing that screen, so thank you for the reminder. How do you know what level an update is if it is not on the list in Update Manager? Should I enable all of them and then selectively update the visible 4/5 entries as I think they are necessary?

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

How do you know what level an update is if it is not on the list in Update Manager
well if you enable level 4 and 5 it will be displayed and you will see the level then it's up to you to decide if you are comfortable doing it or not.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Return to “Software & Applications”