<SOLVED>share error

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glhallway

<SOLVED>share error

Post by glhallway »

I am tring to share a Win7 folder with my web site info created with MS Office Publisher mostly .gif and .bmp files but also have html and index files. I keep getting this error:

"'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare add: cannot share path /media/sda2
as we are restricted to only sharing directories we own.
Ask the administrator to add the line "usershare owner only = false"
to the [global] section of the smb.conf to allow this."

Not to sound dumb but how the heck do I do this?
I am not real good at using terminal and know it is done there but not how?
:?: Could someone stear me in the right direction?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: share error

Post by altair4 »

A side rant, sorry: In my opinion the developers who created nautilus-share should be commended often for producing some of the finest error messages of any operating system anywhere. They often not only tell you why something failed but give you instructions on how to fix it.

Anyway, you can only create a samba usershare on folders you own and you apparently don't own /media/sda2. So you can do what the error message tells you to do:

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
Then add this line to the [global] section - right under the workgroup line is where I'd put it:

usershare owner only = false
Save the file and restart samba:

sudo service smbd restart
OR, since you are likely to do this sort of thing only occasionally just use nemo as gksu:

gksu nemo
When you do that you are using nemo as root and root owns everything.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
glhallway

Re: <SOLVED>share error

Post by glhallway »

Thanks

As I said I am not familiar with terminal yet (I am new to Linux 2 months) and didn't understand what they meant by "don't own something on my hard drive" and what smb is.

The help is very much appreciated the rant very rude.

Return to “Software & Applications”