<SOLVED> scan files and libre, microsoft office

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
User avatar
Minterator
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 596
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 am

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by Minterator »

You can scan the Windows files from within Linux using AVG for Linux.
Mint 17.3 MATE, kernel 4.11.12
nomko

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by nomko »

kost wrote: 1)Boot from live cd
2) move all personal files to external hard drive
3) scan with clamtk+av
4) plug the external hard drive another pc with clean windows enviroment and scan with av+antimalware
5)Delete partitions with grparted and install linux mint
6) plug the external hard drive scan personal files with clamtk+av and move to clean linux enviroment
This is really good! The fact you want to run from a LiveCD is even better.
Only remark: point 4: there's a change you might infect that clean Windows system when plugging in the external drive. Neither of us can be sure how "agressive" those malicious software and infected files are.

kost wrote: I want to scan in windows enviroment the personal files because maybe in the future can copy file in usb and transfer in windows enviroment.So the personal files I want to be clean also for windows enviroment.
There is no reason not scanning from a Linux system. In fact, i still recommend you scanning from a Linux instead from a Windows system, only due to the fact that there's a chance of infecting that clean Windows system.

Here's my list:
  • Boot up with LiveCD
  • Mount Windows partition (or disk)
  • Plug in the external drive
  • Move/copy all files from the Windows disk to the external disk
  • Reboot system with LiveCD of Gparted
  • Erase all partitions on the internal drive (Windows disk)
  • Reboot with the LiveCD of Mint
  • Install Mint
  • After installation, update the system and install proper graphic driver
  • Install ClamAV + ClamTK
  • Plugin external drive and scan the drive
  • Move/copy clean files to the /home folder
  • Burn other files a a DVD for backup.
  • Format the external to make it ready for use with Linux (not leaving behind any infected files.
kost
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by kost »

nomko wrote:
kost wrote: 1)Boot from live cd
2) move all personal files to external hard drive
3) scan with clamtk+av
4) plug the external hard drive another pc with clean windows enviroment and scan with av+antimalware
5)Delete partitions with grparted and install linux mint
6) plug the external hard drive scan personal files with clamtk+av and move to clean linux enviroment
This is really good! The fact you want to run from a LiveCD is even better.
Only remark: point 4: there's a change you might infect that clean Windows system when plugging in the external drive. Neither of us can be sure how "agressive" those malicious software and infected files are.

kost wrote: I want to scan in windows enviroment the personal files because maybe in the future can copy file in usb and transfer in windows enviroment.So the personal files I want to be clean also for windows enviroment.
There is no reason not scanning from a Linux system. In fact, i still recommend you scanning from a Linux instead from a Windows system, only due to the fact that there's a chance of infecting that clean Windows system.



Here's my list:
  • Boot up with LiveCD
  • Mount Windows partition (or disk)
  • Plug in the external drive
  • Move/copy all files from the Windows disk to the external disk
  • Reboot system with LiveCD of Gparted
  • Erase all partitions on the internal drive (Windows disk)
  • Reboot with the LiveCD of Mint
  • Install Mint
  • After installation, update the system and install proper graphic driver
  • Install ClamAV + ClamTK
  • Plugin external drive and scan the drive
  • Move/copy clean files to the /home folder
  • Burn other files a a DVD for backup.
  • Format the external to make it ready for use with Linux (not leaving behind any infected files.
Linux for Ever :D
kost
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by kost »

nomko wrote:
kost wrote: 1)Boot from live cd
2) move all personal files to external hard drive
3) scan with clamtk+av
4) plug the external hard drive another pc with clean windows enviroment and scan with av+antimalware
5)Delete partitions with grparted and install linux mint
6) plug the external hard drive scan personal files with clamtk+av and move to clean linux enviroment
This is really good! The fact you want to run from a LiveCD is even better.
Only remark: point 4: there's a change you might infect that clean Windows system when plugging in the external drive. Neither of us can be sure how "agressive" those malicious software and infected files are.
kost wrote: I want to scan in windows enviroment the personal files because maybe in the future can copy file in usb and transfer in windows enviroment.So the personal files I want to be clean also for windows enviroment.
There is no reason not scanning from a Linux system. In fact, i still recommend you scanning from a Linux instead from a Windows system, only due to the fact that there's a chance of infecting that clean Windows system.

Here's my list:
  • Boot up with LiveCD
  • Mount Windows partition (or disk)
  • Plug in the external drive
  • Move/copy all files from the Windows disk to the external disk
  • Reboot system with LiveCD of Gparted
  • Erase all partitions on the internal drive (Windows disk)
  • Reboot with the LiveCD of Mint
  • Install Mint
  • After installation, update the system and install proper graphic driver
  • Install ClamAV + ClamTK
  • Plugin external drive and scan the drive
  • Move/copy clean files to the /home folder
  • Burn other files a a DVD for backup.
  • Format the external to make it ready for use with Linux (not leaving behind any infected files.


This is better solution.Clamtk+av is antivirus. I am trying to say that I have to scan also with antimalware. Because if I move file from clean linux enviroment to windows enviroment the malware will execute. So how can I scan also with antimalware?

Do you understand what I am trying to say?
Linux for Ever :D
nomko

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by nomko »

kost wrote:This is better solution.Clamtk+av is antivirus. I am trying to say that I have to scan also with antimalware. Because if I move file from clean linux enviroment to windows enviroment the malware will execute. So how can I scan also with antimalware?
Do you understand what I am trying to say?
Ofcourse i do. Don't worry. In that case you could do a scan with a clean Windows system on viruses and malware. Hitman Pro is good tool to do so.
kost
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by kost »

nomko wrote:
kost wrote:This is better solution.Clamtk+av is antivirus. I am trying to say that I have to scan also with antimalware. Because if I move file from clean linux enviroment to windows enviroment the malware will execute. So how can I scan also with antimalware?
Do you understand what I am trying to say?
Ofcourse i do. Don't worry. In that case you could do a scan with a clean Windows system on viruses and malware. Hitman Pro is good tool to do so.
Man you told me before: " Only remark: point 4: there's a change you might infect that clean Windows system when plugging in the external drive. Neither of us can be sure how "agressive" those malicious software and infected files are. "

So I will infect my clean windows system if I plug in the external hard drive and scan with hitman pro?
Linux for Ever :D
nomko

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by nomko »

kost wrote:Man you told me before: " Only remark: point 4: there's a change you might infect that clean Windows system when plugging in the external drive. Neither of us can be sure how "agressive" those malicious software and infected files are. "
So I will infect my clean windows system if I plug in the external hard drive and scan with hitman pro?
I said: you might infect, meaning there's a change it won't happen but there's a possibility it could happen.

And yes, you can use Hitman Pro to scan for other malicious software than viruses, for viruses you can use ClamAV. But under Windows you can use:
- Comodo Antivirus
- AVG Antivirus
- Avast! Antivirus

I get the feeling here, and no offence, that you are really insecure about all this and not being able to act. This might sound harsh, but for god's sake, install Mint and stop comparing the replies here and being insecure! Really, you had so many help and explanations here that it must be clear to you now that after installing Mint you still can start cleaning up that mess of your friend. The only thing you did the past few days is repeating your question over and over again and comparing one reply to another and start asking questions about that also! If your friend and/or you don't feel secure about this, stop with Linux and go back to windows.

Just follow the leads you got and go for it! Stop being insecure and start acting!! This thread will lead eventually to nowhere as long you don't act. Serious! No offence, but now it is time to act!
kost
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by kost »

Ι was asking again and again because I was trying to find the safest way. Maybe there is not safest way.

Nomko maybe you are right. I will saw again all the replies and I will follow the way according to my opinion.
I think I will follow this:

1)Boot from live cd
2) move all personal files to external hard drive
3) scan with clamtk+av
4) plug the external hard drive another pc with clean windows enviroment and scan with av+antimalware
5)Delete partitions with grparted and install linux mint
6) plug the external hard drive scan personal files with clamtk+av and move to clean linux enviroment

Thank you very much but most nomko :D
Linux for Ever :D
User avatar
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1435
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:26 am
Location: Philippines

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

nomko wrote:Only remark: point 4: there's a change you might infect that clean Windows system when plugging in the external drive. Neither of us can be sure how "agressive" those malicious software and infected files are.
The OP only needs to make sure that the root directory of his friend's external HDD doesn't have questionable files, e.g. AUTORUN.INI, AUTORUN.INF, filenames that contains random letters, numbers and symbols that end in .VBS and/or .DLL. Or any file/folder that has no business sitting in the root directory of the external HDD for that matter. It's quite simple to determine the existence of such files using Nemo, and delete them if necessary. That will take care of it.

The OP can also make sure his clean Windows installation disables Autoplay and Autorun. I'm guessing he uses an adequate AV product on his end, so it should be able to catch these bugs.

That said, I tend to agree the OP has some reservations over a relatively simple task. Perhaps, it's the unfortunate product of the Microsoft-trained Brain Syndrome.

Anyway, I wish the OP the best of luck.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
kost
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by kost »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:
nomko wrote:Only remark: point 4: there's a change you might infect that clean Windows system when plugging in the external drive. Neither of us can be sure how "agressive" those malicious software and infected files are.
The OP only needs to make sure that the root directory of his friend's external HDD doesn't have questionable files, e.g. AUTORUN.INI, AUTORUN.INF, filenames that contains random letters, numbers and symbols that end in .VBS and/or .DLL. Or any file/folder that has no business sitting in the root directory of the external HDD for that matter. It's quite simple to determine the existence of such files using Nemo, and delete them if necessary. That will take care of it.

The OP can also make sure his clean Windows installation disables Autoplay and Autorun. I'm guessing he uses an adequate AV product on his end, so it should be able to catch these bugs.

That said, I tend to agree the OP has some reservations over a relatively simple task. Perhaps, it's the unfortunate product of the Microsoft-trained Brain Syndrome.

Anyway, I wish the OP the best of luck.
Sorry what do you mean OP?

I will disable autorun + autoplay again infection can infect clean windows enviroment?
Linux for Ever :D
nomko

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by nomko »

kost wrote:Sorry what do you mean OP?
OP means Original Poster meaning the person that started a thread, in this case you are the OP here ;)
kost wrote: I will disable autorun + autoplay again infection can infect clean windows enviroment?
It will not protect you from getting any viruses or other malicious software for 100%. Disabling autorun+autoplay only avoids that cd's/dvd's/software will be started automatically by Windows preventing getting malicious software installed. It sounds a bit strange, but in a nutshell:

Disabling autorun+autoplay:
  • Is not an anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-spyware protection
  • Only avoids unwanted software start up's
  • Only avoids cd's and dvd's to be started up

The only way to prevent that the clean Windows environment getting infected is NOT moving/copying files from the external drive to the clean Windows system. But even this is not a full 101% guarantee ofcourse!!! There's a big change you get false positives or false negatives if a virus or spy-/malware is capable of fooling the anti-virus or anti-mal-/spyware scanner (which some of them can).

In my opinion, the best way to check the external drive for any viruses is using a Linux Machine since Linux can not be affected nor can it be infected by Windows viruses, Windows malware or Windows spyware:
Threads made for one OS cannot infect other OS's!

Just follow the steps, don't get scary or insecure. Just do it! We all encourage you to act, we are not "kicking your butt".
Mangar
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:30 pm
Location: Somewhere hiding.... to get time off

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by Mangar »

Just a thought, my two cents, from what I grasp he has a windows HDD in one laptop and will move it to an external drive. and all that swapping stuff around.


1. If I had an extra HDD even a cheap unused 20 GB thrown it in a desk top as the primary HDD, load a LM OS on it with AVG, or even another anti and maleware software.

2. then put the windows HDD drive as a slave drive since the LM OS is the primary. or hook up the external HDD with windows on it. Then execute all the virus and maleware checkers on the windows stuff.

I use to do that when I had windows HDD drives from other people that got junk on it. I would put their HDD as a slave on a small Win HDD with only scanners and checkers on it. all I am thinking why not have a Linux OS on a small HDD and pop that in as a primary with scanners and stuff.

Is that do able by the GURU minds here? keeps damage minimal if anything jumps. I rather rebuild a small thrown together testing HDD as a scanner Primary then loose a OS that has months of use on it and stuff.

The more Antivirus scanners and maleware scanners on the testing HDD you put on it, the more variations can run one at a time against the slave HDD/external drive (the one to be checked). No one single anti software is a fix all, some catch what other ones miss. and like Nomko said even false positives. But a slave drive can not block much scanning since it is not the active OS running.

OR if you have a spare HDD and put it in a desktop as the only HDD and being the Primary by pulling the original HDD cable off. load LM OS with anti software and anti malewares on it. Set the Win laptop to share all, set the laptop on a dummy network, then set the LM desktop to the same network and let the Desktop scan the laptop and its files. I also did that with all windows OSs. Can that be a solution with Linux OS scanning a WIN OS HDD?

Once your down you can pull the testing HDD out of the tower and plug back in its original primary HDD that was in it to being with.

But other wise Nomko is correct on doing it like he said.
Life after Windows! the future looks MINT!
completely new to Linux here is a quick overall for 1st timers Lingo curve http://www.linfo.org/newbies.html
Alternative applications to what Windows users do things http://www.linuxalt.com/
kost
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by kost »

nomko wrote:
kost wrote:Sorry what do you mean OP?
OP means Original Poster meaning the person that started a thread, in this case you are the OP here ;)
kost wrote: I will disable autorun + autoplay again infection can infect clean windows enviroment?
It will not protect you from getting any viruses or other malicious software for 100%. Disabling autorun+autoplay only avoids that cd's/dvd's/software will be started automatically by Windows preventing getting malicious software installed. It sounds a bit strange, but in a nutshell:

Disabling autorun+autoplay:
  • Is not an anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-spyware protection
  • Only avoids unwanted software start up's
  • Only avoids cd's and dvd's to be started up

The only way to prevent that the clean Windows environment getting infected isNOT moving/copying files from the external drive to the clean Windows system. But even this is not a full 101% guarantee ofcourse!!! There's a big change you get false positives or false negatives if a virus or spy-/malware is capable of fooling the anti-virus or anti-mal-/spyware scanner (which some of them can).

In my opinion, the best way to check the external drive for any viruses is using a Linux Machine since Linux can not be affected nor can it be infected by Windows viruses, Windows malware or Windows spyware:
Threads made for one OS cannot infect other OS's!



Just follow the steps, don't get scary or insecure. Just do it! We all encourage you to act, we are not "kicking your butt".

I understand what are you say to me. I will tell again what is the problem. The problem is not on linux mint but on windows.


I will install linux mint and scan the files with clamtk+av and transfer on clean installation.I have no problems on linux I will be safe.


The problem is: for example I will transfer files from linux in pc running windows. If the files that I transfer have malware (will not run in linux) but when transfer in windows the malware will execute.

To conclude, I have to scan not only with clamtk+av but also with antimalware. You tell me that if I
scan the external hard drive in clean windows enviroment before trnsfer to clean installation linux
mint maybe the clean installation of windows will be infected. I have not other choice. The best way
will be if I can scan the external hard drive with clamtk+av + antimalware but there is no antimalware in linux.

Anyway I hope you understand my problem. It should be better to close the topic. Thanks all for the help mostt nomko :)
Linux for Ever :D
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1856
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by Mark Phelps »

Text removed -- misread the original post.
Last edited by Mark Phelps on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomko

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by nomko »

@ kost:

1st:
Ignore whatever Mark Phelps replied in his last post since that last reply dos not answer your question (no offence Mark).

2nd:
Your question:
The problem is: for example I will transfer files from linux in pc running windows. If the files that I transfer have malware (will not run in linux) but when transfer in windows the malware will execute.
The answer is plain simple: YES.
The reason for this is: As said, threads for one OS does not infect other OS's. However, when moving/copying an infected file from Windows to Linux, the only what differs is the file format. Windows is using NTFS while Linux Mint is using ext4 (but there are more file formats under Linux than under Windows). When moving or copying a file from Windows to Linux, the file itself will not be altered in any way! Meaning that any file containing mal-/spyware, viruses, trojans, etc. keep containing these unwanted infections under Linux with the exception that those infected files cannot infect Linux. However, since these files will not be altered or modified in any way when moving/copying it from NTFS to ext4, moving or copying them back to a Windows sytem will also "activate" the viruses, mal-/spyware, trojans since these infections "recognize" the Windows file format and Windows directory structure and start infecting that Windows environment when such infected file is opened (imgaes, .doc files, .xls files)or started up (in case of an .exe file).

So yes, moving infected files from Windows to Linux will not clean or stop the threads. They will still be a part of the infected files. And moving/copying them back will probably end up in infecting a clean Windows environment.

To conclude, I have to scan not only with clamtk+av but also with antimalware. You tell me that if I
scan the external hard drive in clean windows enviroment before trnsfer to clean installation linux
mint maybe the clean installation of windows will be infected. I have not other choice. The best way
will be if I can scan the external hard drive with clamtk+av + antimalware but there is no antimalware in linux.
I understand your dilemma perfectly. And you hit the nail on its head when saying that there is antI-virus but no anti-malware under Linux. The main reason for this is the much better rights management system of Linux avoiding others to install software on your system without the knowlegde of the user like it can be done under Windows. And there is basically no threads on the internet to be found for Linux since there are hardly viruses or spy-/malware to be found written sepcially for Linux.In a nutshell: Basically your dilemma is quit simple:
When checking/scanning infected files under a clean Windows enviornment is creating the possibility of getting infected. Linux can only do anti-virus, no spy-/malware but is much safer as it does not get infected by viruses.

If you want to do both (anti-virus+antispy-/malware), the only solution is Windows.
kost
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

Re: scan files and libre, microsoft office

Post by kost »

So for the scanning part there are two options:

1) I will scan the external hard drive with clamtk+av from live cd and I will scan from clean windows enviroment the external hard drive but maybe the the windows clean enviroment will be infected.

or

2) I will scan the external hard drive only with clamtk+av from live cd.


Ok nomko you make it clear to me.Thank you very much :D
Linux for Ever :D
Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”