anybody got iTunes running on LM17 Cinnamon?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

anybody got iTunes running on LM17 Cinnamon?

Post by jimallyn »

Has anybody got iTunes running on LM17 Cinnamon? Will it run in Wine?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: anybody got iTunes running on LM17 Cinnamon?

Post by killer de bug »

It will probably not run in Wine as it doesn't have a good ranking for the compatibility with Wine.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

alwayslearning102
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alwayslearning102 »

I myself have a hard time running ITunes on Linux mint on Wine. I didn't try it myself because I don't have an Idevice, but you can try it on Mono or get a Linux native app for Idevices.
For mono:
cd (to .exe dir)
sudo mono program name.exe
eg.
CD /home
sudo mono setup.exe

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

I use Mac for iTunes but I think you can install Windows or Mac in VB and install iTunes. Haven't done it myself but it stands to reason it should work..

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Will it run in Wine?
Looking at all the Garbage ratings in the WineHQ application compatibility page for iTunes, I think you can tell what the answer is to your question: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=1347

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I got iTunes to install, and it will open, but then I can't do anything with it. I'll probably play with it a little more over the next few days and report back if I achieve success with it.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Post by baldrick.777 »

after extensive research & application, I can confirm iTunes is a fizzer with any debian based Linux distro (Mint, Ubuntu, etc..).

It's possible to get the player working under wine, using an ancient iTunes version. Though the GUI leaves much to be desired. Pick a native Linux player that synchs with an idevice, like Banshee.

If you are looking for the iTunes store - forget it! Apple have locked this down exceptionally well.
Instead, check out Google Play (available through much of the western world), Spotify, Amazon, Pandora, Grooveshark, Jamendo or similar streaming/download stores.

Hope that helps.
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

There are other download places that are as good or better than iTunes. Find one to your liking and use it. If you need backup cloud storage there is DropBox or better with more free storage Google Drive. Several Linux music players let you access your iPod, iTouch, or iPhone music which is all you really need..

If you need to update IOS that can be easily done from the iPhone itself.. It can also be done via WiFi if your iTouch is WiFi capable..

If you have music on CD's most burners will let you rip the songs to your music library...and a way to get your iTunes protected music to work on Linux is to while in Windows or Mac burn your iTunes music as an audio CD then rip as MP3. This kills the protection. All of my iTunes music was done this way and plays fine in Linux..

Just quit worshipping the iTunes god and you'll be better off....

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

"Worshipping the iTunes god"? Actually, I've never used it. But at the moment they are offering a free download of U2's newest album, and I thought I might like to have it. I'll probably wind up downloading it from my mother's computer, which dual boots Mint and XP.

Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Laugh2 »

Yes, iTunes can run on LM17.1, at least the MATE version. iTunes 10 can also access the store when running on PlayOnLinux (refer http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=198099), at least using LM17.1 MATE.

While several versions of iTunes can run on Linux, synchronisation with devices and connection to the iTunes store may not work, depending on which combination of versions you use.

Return to “Software & Applications”