Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kenise
Level 1
Level 1

Termial and Software Manager will not download Mint 10

Post by kenise »

Just started Mint 10 on my older desktop, 3.2, 1 gig ram . Need Arduino, will not load in the terminal, so went to the Software Manager, click and applied NOTHING. Working a project testing different Linux OS for Special Education, Mint BY FAR THE HARDEST OS I've worked with. Ubuntu, easy, but this WOW.

Can anyone help?
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Termial and Software Manager will not download Mint 10

Post by karlchen »

Hello, kenise.

Linux Mint 10 passed the end of it supported life a long time ago in April 2012. So did the underlying Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meercat. Linux Mint Releases.
As a consequence the Ubuntu software repositories were moved to a different location.
The Linux Mint 10 software reposiories may or may not be available any longer.
We explicitly do not encourage people to use outdated Linux Mint releases which are no longer maintained.

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
nomko

Post by nomko »

kenise wrote:Just started Mint 10 on my older desktop, 3.2, 1 gig ram . Need Arduino, will not load in the terminal, so went to the Software Manager, click and applied NOTHING. Working a project testing different Linux OS for Special Education, Mint BY FAR THE HARDEST OS I've worked with. Ubuntu, easy, but this WOW.
Like Krlchen already said, Mint 10 is obsolete for over 2 years now and is the repository. The reason that Software Manager doesn't do anything is due to the fact that the reposity of Mint 10 (and also Ubuntu 10.10 which is the package basis of Mint 10) is closed and moved to a different location were it cannot be reached by the Update Manager nor by the Software Manager. Therefore it is not Mint to blaim for your errors.

What you can do is upgrade to Mint 13 which is a LTS version, menaing it is a Long Term Support version which will be maintained, supported and updated up and till april 2017. The only drawback in here is the hardware of your desktop. What you cand o is providing us the info of your desktop hardware by running the following terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Copy the output here so we can advise you in a better way what to do and which distribution will worl smoothly on your desktop.
kenise
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenise »

/usr/bin/inxi: illegal option -- z
Error 7: One of the options you entered in your script parameters: -Fxz
is not supported.The option may require extra arguments to work.
For supported options (and their arguments), check the help menu: inxi -h

I have no idea, I've tried different suggestion, keep getting error this, error that. Terminal not working, software manager not working, package terminal not working, REALLY?

Frankly why would Mint 10 be even on Unetbootin if it out of date? I am test drive a few Linux OS for a project working with Special Education students. Mint is BY FAR THE WORST, of course I'll be called a noob, or other such thing. No problem working in Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Puppy and a few others.
kenise
Level 1
Level 1

Could MINT do a better job with new users???????

Post by kenise »

Used Unetbooti for a copy of Mint, and I get 10 and it is the worst of the worst. I have no idea, I've tried different suggestion, keep getting error this, error that. Terminal not working, software manager not working, package terminal not working, REALLY? Frankly why would Mint 10 be even on Unetbootin if it out of date?

I am test driving a few Linux OS for a project working with Special Education students. Mint is BY FAR THE WORST, of course I'll be called a noob, or other such thing. No problem working in Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Puppy and a few others.

I am working with a few manufactures on this project along with some national companies (ie: Pizza Hut, Kroger, Wal-Mart). Looking for a lite OS we could train users on.

DOES MINT WANT NEW USERS???????

Sad, Kenise
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Could MINT do a better job with new users???????

Post by cecar »

Mint 10????? Download 17 instead, Mint 10 is very old and not supported anymore.
kenise
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenise »

It is on this desktop, and if I can't fix a problem here, why would I risk putting 17 on anything let alone 100s of units?
rossi46
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rossi46 »

It appears that Mint has caused your question mark key to malfunction too.

You don't specify what type of machine you're using. Maybe you could try a newer version of the distro?
Let's Go Mets!
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

If you really where working for players of that size you'd know that Mint 10 has released new in 2010! 2010-11-12 Distribution Release: Linux Mint 10, Were onto 17 now so 10 is terribly out out date and definitely not supported any more.

Actually I think you've just come here for rant because you're board.

Personally I wouldn't allow anyone with so little knowledge anywhere near my computer it's far too valuable and you are far too inexperienced.
kenise
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenise »

Mint 10 IS WHAT THE MINT LIVE DOWNLOADED! How on earth is that my fault. And thank you captain obvious, yes 17 would be better. Look I knew I would be attacked for even posting. Fine, I can look else where for help. Of course I'm Board?, I work 18 days and squeeze a few minute on a board for fun. Look, I need an OS, if you're the representative of Mint user, well scary
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

kenise wrote: Frankly why would Mint 10 be even on Unetbootin if it out of date?
DOES MINT WANT NEW USERS???????
Unetbootin is a program created by people who are totally separate from the Linux Mint team. The Linux Mint team has no control at all over which Mint distros are listed in that program.
The problem here is not how Mint does things, but rather in how you approached Mint.
If you download the current version from linuxmint.com - http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
you would have a completely different experience.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

I have the same problem with DOS 2.11. :wink:

Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.
kenise
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenise »

To turtlebay777, nice, real classy. A lot really smart people just like you said Mental Retardation would keep them from having real job. I've spent a decade proving that wrong. So yes, I am humbled in your Linux presence. Could such a Linux God help or just mouth off?
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, kenise.

You have already asked about Linux Mint 10 in this thread: Termial and Software Manager will not download Mint 10. And you have been explained that Linux Mint 10 is no longer supported. This is why Software Manger, mintupdate, apt-get and Synaptic will not find the old software repositories.
There is no point in simply choosing a new title and asking the same question again. You will not get a different answer.
So here is the answer again:
Linux Mint 10 passed the end of its supported life a long time ago in April 2012. So did the underlying Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meercat. Please, take the pain of verifying on this webpage: Linux Mint Releases.
As a consequence the Ubuntu software repositories were moved to a different location.
The Linux Mint 10 software reposiories may or may not be available any longer.
We explicitly do not encourage people to use outdated Linux Mint releases which are no longer maintained.

We have got no influence on the makers of Unetbootin. If they decide to allow you to download outdated Linux Mint versions then this is their decision, not ours.

Please, do not blame us for doing a poor job with respect to new users. We would do a really poor job if we encouraged you to setup a Linux Mint version in September 2014 which passed the end of its supported life in April 2012, just because you came across the outdated version through Unetbootin.

We will gladly do our best and help you setup either Mint 13 or Mint 17, both of which are LTS releases, long-term support, and still maintained. You do not even have to take chances and install any one the available Mint 13 and Mint 17 releases blindly. You should try them out as live systems beforehand. Once you know which Mint version you want, 13 or 17, and which desktop environment you like best, xfce, Mate, Cinnamon or KDE, you start installing it on your machine.

Kind regards,
Karl
--
P.S.:
This thread will be merged with the first thread about the same topic: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=178207. => Corrected: Has been merged.
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
kenise
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenise »

With all due respect Karl, two different issues. One a tech isssue with no help other than shouldn't use 10, the other is no help for new users. Had issues with Ubuntu, being new to Linux, tons of help. Not here, just your a dummy for downloading 10 when I used unetbootin for all the test OS, Mint was the only problem.

So, as imbark on this journey with Linux to give open source license for all the software, text books and training videos I've developed, it will be without Mint.

The spirit of retirement at 40, seeing Arduino to Linux, I was inspired to do the same. What schools pay for software licenses runs into the millions everyday. Special Education at the top end.

I will continue with this project, with multiple manufactures, employers and companies on board. When asked "how did you decide on the OS?" I look forward to explaining my brief experience with Mint.
kenise
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenise »

With all due respect Karl, two different issues. One a tech isssue with no help other than shouldn't use 10, the other is no help for new users. Had issues with Ubuntu, being new to Linux, tons of help. Not here, just your a dummy for downloading 10 when I used unetbootin for all the test OS, Mint was the only problem.

So, as imbark on this journey with Linux to give open source license for all the software, text books and training videos I've developed, it will be without Mint.

The spirit of retirement at 40, seeing Arduino to Linux, I was inspired to do the same. What schools pay for software licenses runs into the millions everyday. Special Education at the top end.

I will continue with this project, with multiple manufactures, employers and companies on board. When asked "how did you decide on the OS?" I look forward to explaining my brief experience with Mint.
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gtsfer »

It doesn't look like Unetbootin could have downloaded Linux Mint 10, unless you got it from a Phoenician or Sumerian web site. The Unetbootin site clearly shows what versions it's capable of getting for you. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/. Although some are out of date, LM 10 is nowhere even close to being on the list. This might have happened if you went to some 3rd party site to get Unetbootin maybe. That's a "tech" issue. :wink:
"There is no gravity, the earth sucks." - Issac Newton @ 75
KDE & Cinnamon 18.1 & Win 10 - ASUS M5A99FX PRO MB, AMD FX-8370 Octo-Core CPU, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, kenise.

The primary source of truth for Linux Mint is the Linux Mint homepage Linux Mint, not UNetbootin.
UNetbootin is merely a very useful utility in order to create bootable Linux pendrives (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora etc).

The primary source to find out which Linux Mint editions are available is this Linux Mint webpage, retrievable from the homepage as well, Linux Mint Releases, not the list of Linux Mint editions which you may find on any other website or inside the UNetbootin programme.
Mint editions which are not listed on Linux Mint Releases are no longer supported and/or are no official Linux Mint editions.

Why do you blame as for refusing to tell you how to setup a dead Linux Mint 10 in Sept. 2014? Should you not rather blame us in case we did help you do so, although we know Mint 10 is dead and it is no longer maintained?
OK, you asked for it. Here is the workaround for making Software Manager, Synaptic, mintUpdate and apt-get on Mint 10 pretend to be functioning normally: rewrite the repository lists appropriately. That workaround has been explained for Mint 14, another outdated Mint release. It should be no unsolvable challenge to adapt the workaround for Mint 10. But beware: Mint 10 is outdated and a deadend. No more software updates, no recent programme versions, no bugfixes, nothing, Mint 10 as it was way back in April 2012.

You are talking of schools and saving money for software licenses. Great. But can there be any good reason to give outdated Linux Mint 10 to them, although current Mint LTS releases cost exactly the same? Nothing. Does this sound reasonable? Not to my ears.
I look forward to explaining my brief experience with Mint.
Are you going to tell them the whole story? Did you try to force the Ubuntu and Fedora and OpenSuse guys, too, to help you setup outdated editions of their Linux versions? Did you blame them as well for not being helpful, because they, too, tried to make clear that starting with an outdated version is a really bad idea?

Kind regards,
Karl
ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ClutchDisc »

Like others have said, Mint 10 is LONG since outdated and no longer supported. This means that the software manager, installing software via the terminal, and updates will not work. We can not recommend using an obsolete version of Mint. You either need to use Mint 13 supported until 2017, or better yet Mint 17 that is supported until 2019. If you really want to stick with Mint 10 we can't help you with that.. But if you want help installing Mint 13 or 17 we can help you get there.
Custom build
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.70GHz quad core
RAM: 8GB DDR4
OS drive: 120GB SSD
Data drive: 2TB HDD
ClutchDisc
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ClutchDisc »

kenise wrote:I will continue with this project, with multiple manufactures, employers and companies on board. When asked "how did you decide on the OS?" I look forward to explaining my brief experience with Mint.
Make sure you tell them that we tried to tell you that Mint 10 (the one you installed) was obsolete, and that its not a good idea to install and use an obsolete operating system. Also tell them that when we suggested installing Mint 13 or Mint 17 (both are still supported) that it seems that you had no interest and just wanted us to make obsolete Mint 10 to work like Mint 17... I'm sure they will understand our frustrations. :roll:

I'm not saying you were supposed to know that Mint 10 was obsolete, but we are here to help you get going with either Mint 13 or Mint 17.. if you decide you want help.
Custom build
CPU: Intel Core i5 2.70GHz quad core
RAM: 8GB DDR4
OS drive: 120GB SSD
Data drive: 2TB HDD

Return to “Software & Applications”