Can't Install Programmes via WINE (Mono Runtime)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
stephenj
Level 1
Level 1

Can't Install Programmes via WINE (Mono Runtime)

Post by stephenj » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:43 am

Hi, I have just installed Mint 17 KDE and am busily configuring it and installing needed programmes.

I have a number (3) of Windows only programmes that I always install (successfully) on the other distributions that I have used, via WINE. Unfortunately, I am unable to do so on this occasion.

Initially, I observed that WINE is not included in the Mint download so I installed it via the Mint Software Manager. Following installation of the WINE meta-package, I attempted to launch DVDShrink. The only response was an entry in the panel for Mono Runtime. This showed up for about 20+ seconds then disappeared.

I attempted this also with DVDFab and Fotosketcher, but the result was the same.

I then attempted to configure WINE, but a message advised me that I was missing the necessary WINE Mono and WINE Gecko. The message also stated that although they could be downloaded automatically via the WINE configuration, the preferred method was to install Mono and Gecko via the distribution's repositories. Consequently, I downloaded wine-gecko2.21 and wine-mono0.0.8 via Synaptic. The situation did not change and attempting to install one of the programmes via WINE again resulted in only the Mono Runtime entry in the panel for about 20+ seconds.

I decided to uninstall WINE (and wine-mono and wine-gecko) and to attempt to re-install WINE via the PPA provided by WineHQ. This again, resulted in the Mono Runtime entry (even after I re-installed wine-mono and wine-gecko).

Just to repeat, all of the programmes I am attempting to install in Linux Mint, have been successfully installed in various other Linux distros (on this computer) by me in the past.

I would be most appreciative if someone would tell me what I am doing wrong and how I may be able to get my Windows-based programmes working via WINE. (DVDFab is particularly one that I can not do without.)

kyphi
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Can't Install Programmes via WINE (Mono Runtime)

Post by kyphi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:29 pm

To summarise, the 3 Windows-based programs you cannot do without are -

1. Fotosketcher (which is no longer in production)
2. DVD Fab
3. DVD Shrink (DVD Shrink versions 3 and 3.2 are both listed in Crossover as working perfectly)

Why not use native programs that will get you the same outcome.

In lieu of Fotosketcher, try Imagemagick (I just made a charcoal drawing out of a photo to try it). There must be others (Krita ?)
In lieu of 2 and 3, try Handbrake, it does the same thing and is in the repository.

Crossover is easier to use than Wine: https://www.codeweavers.com/products
Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon - 64bit

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Can't Install Programmes via WINE (Mono Runtime)

Post by Flemur » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:20 am

kyphi's right about using Linux equivalents, tho I use some windows programs that have linux equivalents that aren't as good. However, the win programs run fine under wine.

Also, check the "wine compatibility" of your programs at "winehq" (google to find it).

Given that...

I attempted to launch DVDShrink. The only response was an entry in the panel for Mono Runtime.

You'll get more useful info if you run from the command line:
$ cd ~/.wine/rest_of_path_to_executable
$ wine program.exe

but a message advised me that I was missing the necessary WINE Mono and WINE Gecko.

IIRC, I never install those. Does the msg really say they're "necessary"?

I decided to uninstall WINE (and wine-mono and wine-gecko) and to attempt to re-install WINE via the PPA provided by WineHQ.

If you want to start-over with wine, delete you current "prefix" (~/.wine), too.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Return to “Software & Applications”