Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pittendrigh
Level 1
Level 1

Geeqie error on Nikon raw NEF files

Post by pittendrigh » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:17 pm

I searched and didn't find.

I use geeqie every day. I'm having problems with raw image files, with Nikon *.NEF files image/x-nikon-nef
The geeqie I use is the one I got from "sudo apt-get install geeqie" on mint linux
uname -a ==> 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

If I highlight any jpeg file and then do a geeqie edit=>external editors=>Gimp click everything is fine. Gimp starts up and opens the highlighted jpeg file as expected.

However, if I do the same on any *.NEF file (the thumbnails show up just fine) I get an "External Command failed" ..... "can't find matching file type. Unable to start external command" dialog

Geeqie's edit=>preferences=>prefernces=>Files has a line for nef with the "writable" checkbox turned on.

edit=>preferences=>external editors=>Gimp <edit> shows a MimeType line, to which I added ;image/x-nikon-nef .........but nothing changed.

I can start gimp manually and then browse around to find the right *.NEF file and then edit it. But I'd like to get the automatic edit feature to work.

Any ideas? ...thank you in advance.......

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Geeqie error on Nikon raw NEF files

Post by colyn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:41 am

I have hundreds of .NEF files and have never used Geeqie to view them. Gwenview in KDE works as does Shotwell or Gthumb in Mate or Cinnamon.
If you want to edit .NEF files go to synaptic and install UFRAW into Gimp. This is the native Raw image viewer and converter/editor..

pittendrigh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pittendrigh » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Thank you. However..............

I do already use Gimp with the UFRAW plugin. I'm trying to get Geeqie to start Gimp with an incoming "file to edit" parameter that is the currently selected NEF file. It works fine with jpeg png and gif. But not with NEF.

Neither gwenview and shotwell seem to know how to start any external editor. I also find them a bit cumbersome as they seem to require "importing" photos. Geeqie is dynamic. It loads all photos in the current directory, from where ever you are in a terminal window when you start Geeqie up. And it is lightning fast. And you can browser around, after you get it started, and drill up or down into any directory.

And most of all Geeqie allows you to start any external editor, so it opens up with a file you selected with Geeqie. Well at least it works with jpeg gif and png. But not with NEF. That's the problem I'm trying to solve.

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Gwenview will open a .NEF file in Gimp from file-open with. You can then choose Gimp. Just tried it so I do know it works..

I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say "importing" photos. I've never had to import any photos into Gwenview..

To better understand your issue I just installed Geeqie and tried to duplicate you issue.. It works fine for me. I am using KDE..

Since this is a GTK editor are you sure you have the proper version of GTK??

pittendrigh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pittendrigh » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:09 pm

My gwenview shows jpeg png and gif thumbnails but not NEF.

"cannot display display documents of type x-nikon-nef"

--version Gwenview: 4.11.4

Perhaps it was shotwell that wanted to "import" my /home/Pictures directory.

===============geeqie is still what I want

I copied _PIC1234.NEF to test.tif and now geeqie starts gimp with test.tif just fine, even though it's really an x-nikon-nef file.
This has to be solvable.

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:22 pm

pittendrigh wrote: --version Gwenview: 4.11.4
This could be your problem. I am using 4.13.1

pittendrigh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pittendrigh » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:38 pm

I found a 4.14 deb file for geeqie. But dpkg -i died on unmet dependencies.

I'm running and old Mint Mate. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and then update gave me the same geeqie.

I think I'll back up my user files and install an up-to-date KDE. It's time for a change..............

Thank you for your help so far.

Return to “Software & Applications”