Before you post please read how to get help
Mangar
Level 2
Level 2

Netflix for ubuntu?

Post by Mangar »

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubunt ... 15048.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubunt ... 15049.html

If they are going to make it for ubuntu does that mean mint will follow suite shortly?
Life after Windows! the future looks MINT!
completely new to Linux here is a quick overall for 1st timers Lingo curve http://www.linfo.org/newbies.html
Alternative applications to what Windows users do things http://www.linuxalt.com/
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Netflix for ubuntu?

Post by PatH57 »

Hi

I'm using netflix with this ppa and it works so far.
http://itsfoss.com/netflix-ubuntu-1404-desktop-app/
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Mangar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mangar »

Thank you, PatH57!

I will give that a try, well as of today, Chromium Chrome Firefox and Oprah all failed. Netflix said it had to be a later browser to play. I know there has been a lag but think that gap will be filled so or a later. :)
I still have my iPhone for the road trip, just thought it be cooler on the laptop !
Life after Windows! the future looks MINT!
completely new to Linux here is a quick overall for 1st timers Lingo curve http://www.linfo.org/newbies.html
Alternative applications to what Windows users do things http://www.linuxalt.com/
Preyed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Preyed »

Mangar wrote:Thank you, PatH57!

I will give that a try, well as of today, Chromium Chrome Firefox and Oprah all failed. Netflix said it had to be a later browser to play. I know there has been a lag but think that gap will be filled so or a later. :)
I still have my iPhone for the road trip, just thought it be cooler on the laptop !
I take it that means PatH57's suggestion didn't work then?

Been a while since I got it up and running, but the Netflix-desktop package worked fine for me. It ran very well at first, then after a wine update it sometimes stutters a bit, but not enough to ruin the experience. Roughly every 2 or 3 minutes it will pause for a split second and continue.

You said Chrome and FF failed, but when I installed Netflix-desktop it was effectively bundled as it's 'own' browser, I assume using a modified version of FireFox, as that's what it opens in. Looking at it now, it has the red netflix 'N' icon. Is that what you tried?

Edit: Looking at my PPAs, I used the same one in PatH57's link and it works for me, actually watching Netflix as I read the forum :P
Edit 2: Yeah, I haven't noticed it since the last update either, PatH57. ((Didn't want to post for that minor addition.
Last edited by Preyed on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

had the same little problem with a wine update but it seems yesterday there was another one and now it works well again (at least on my laptop)
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Well, Netflix works on Ubuntu 14.04.

Not working for me on Mint 17 KDE, though...
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
strider3700
Level 1
Level 1

Post by strider3700 »

Just a guess but apparently libnss3 and libnss3-1d are critical to getting this to work.

Current versions on mint are
libnss3 2:3.15.4-0ubuntu0.13.10.2
libnss3-1d 2:3.15.4-0ubuntu0.13.10.2

Current versions on ubunti are
libnss3 (2:3.17.1-0ubuntu1)
libnss3-1d (2:3.17.1-0ubuntu1)

I'm assuming they'll need updated on mint for this to work. I prefer to not manually patch but just use the updater so I can't verify that though.
scryan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scryan »

Netflix issues are way more confusing than it has to be.

It WILL work if you install pipelight, wine-compholio enable the silverlight plugin and use firefox with a user-agent switcher plugin set to the most recent version of windows firefox. chrome can be weird about using its own style of plugins so things are less likely to work with it.

It will be awesome if they suport ubuntu directly though, you would have to imagine like almost any other ubuntu software it will work on mint.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Well, apparently it is now pretty transparent for Ubuntu, and yes, it looks like the ssn library needs to be updated for us to do the same on Mint.

I was hoping that the update that Ubuntu got world make it's way to us as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

scryan wrote:Netflix issues are way more confusing than it has to be.
Doesn't have to be - Netflix without pipelight
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

from Distrowatch, Issue 580:

Netflix is a service which allows clients to stream television and film to their computers and hand held devices. Over the years the Netflix client software has been ported to several platforms, but GNU/Linux users have largely been ignored. In the past some workarounds were put together, mostly using WINE to get Netflix streaming to Linux desktop machines.
Finally, a native solution for watching Netflix on Linux desktops and laptops has been made available. As the Ubuntu Insights website reports: "Thanks to recent efforts at Netflix and Canonical, Ubuntu now supports watching Netflix with Chrome version 37. Chrome is available to all Ubuntu users with up-to-date installations of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 14.04 LTS and later. Netflix subscribers who already use Ubuntu can now watch simply by installing the Chrome browser."
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MrMonobrow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrMonobrow »

I just checked. Native Netflix streaming works fine. You'll need the latest Google Chrome (I have Version 38.0.2125.101). Just point Chrome to the Netflix website, log in, and it works! No need for a user agent switcher, etc.

FINALLY!!!
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

I have the latest Chrome. I have all my updates. I am running Mint 17 KDE. Netfix breaks when I try to run a movie. :/
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

It's this easy:
Google Chrome Version 38.0.2125.101 (64-bit)
Install the "User-Agent Switcher for Chrome 1.0.36" addon.
Add a new UA for netflix: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3, Win64, x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2114.2 Safari/537.36

Select the New UserAgent before visiting netflix.com/ to view...
Yer netflix account must be set to allow for html5

done. and done.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I'm using Google Chrome version 38.0.2125.104 (64-bit) on Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit. Netflix works without user agent switcher, special tweaks, or odd workarounds. Right out of the box with no muss no fuss. No need to select HTML5 as reported in some posts.

Now if we could just get HBO GO and some other holdouts to be as cooperative as Netflix, Linux usage would probably double in a month. :shock:
Mint MATE 20.1
cjbellar89
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cjbellar89 »

Dngrsone wrote:I have the latest Chrome. I have all my updates. I am running Mint 17 KDE. Netfix breaks when I try to run a movie. :/
are you running chromium or google chrome. chromium crashes you have to download google chrome from there website.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

cjbellar89 wrote:
Dngrsone wrote:I have the latest Chrome. I have all my updates. I am running Mint 17 KDE. Netfix breaks when I try to run a movie. :/
are you running chromium or google chrome. chromium crashes you have to download google chrome from there website.
Ah... there's my problem.

Installed Google Chrome (instead of Chromium... what an idiot I am), and Netflix works just peachy.

Return to “Software & Applications”