Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
duder1982
Level 1
Level 1

vlc or plex

Post by duder1982 »

OK I don't know the best way to skin this cat. So I will state what I would like to do and maybe someone has the best options. On my pc I have windows, this computer has an external hd with all my movies and music. I installed Linux mint 17 mate to my laptop. I would like to use the laptop to play the music that is on the external hd attached to the windows pc. Is there a way for VLC to do this, or would I have to use Plex in a manner. If I have to use Plex would it work with me just downloading to the laptop with Linux, to network with the windows machine. Or would it be best to hook the external hd to the laptop and let the rest of my components pulling the media via plex. One concern I have is that I use a PS3 to watch the movies that are on the external hd, via plex. But I all so use my receiver to listen to music via dlna. Its late and I am tired so we can hash out the details tomorrow.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: vlc or plex

Post by MartyMint »

I would set up a SAMBA share...just use the file browser in your Mint machine to navigate to the Windows machine and use any local player you want to play the file.

duder1982
Level 1
Level 1

Post by duder1982 »

Marty, thanks for the reply. I will look into that. So basically Samba would allow me to access the files on Windows machine, through the Linux machine. I would then use VLC to play the music.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint »

Exactly.

There are plenty of SAMBA guides on these forums and Mint makes it quite easy to set up a share over your network.

Return to “Software & Applications”