Encrypt a mountable directory without ecryptfs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HitmanNumber86

Encrypt a mountable directory without ecryptfs

Post by HitmanNumber86 »

ecryptfs is screwed to high hell. I tried making it so it wouldn't mount on login, now it'll never mount. I can't even delete everything and try again. I've Googled up and down and ecryptfs-setup-private and ecryptfs-mount-private seem to be Alpha programs.

Right now I'm stuck with running winrar in wine. A proposterous solution, at best.

I can't seem to find any simple encryption software for linux, other then the glitchy ecryptfs, or lengthy openssl commands, that I can't trust myself to remember. GPG doesn't seem to work right either, and I'm still not making a mountable directory.

Are there any reliable linux programs that will create a mountable encrypted directory?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eanfrid

Re: Encrypt a mountable directory without ecryptfs

Post by eanfrid »

Ecryptfs is not really good for anything but encrypting your home and transparently automounting it when your log in. Cryptkeeper, using encfs under the hood, should be more portable and better suited for your needs.
HitmanNumber86

Re: Encrypt a mountable directory without ecryptfs

Post by HitmanNumber86 »

encfs works like a charm. Thanks a million.

Return to “Software & Applications”