Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MintyMorkyMindy
Level 3
Level 3

What is your back up strategy?

Post by MintyMorkyMindy »

Please share your backup strategy and what software you use, thank you.
Linux Mint since 5 October 2014 :D

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: What is your back up strategy?

Post by kukamuumuka »

Manually with Grsync and rsync

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I use Grsync to back up my files from my data partition to an external hard drive.
I use gparted to make a copy of my root partition, and save it on my external hard drive, I do that occasionally, particularly before making systemic changes.
http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name ... -partition
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

Data: rsync+grsync to back up from ext4 partition to ntfs partition on same drive, and an ext4 partition on a USB drive which is always disconnected otherwise.

OS: # cp -ax to empty directory on USB drive. I have two Mint17 installs and use one to backup the other, tho you could use LiveDVD.
Could use (g)rsync for incremental backups but don't bother.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Use a separate /home partition, and additionally back up important files to an external HDD (formatted fat32 for universal access).
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

I take a snapshot of the initial install (in windows parlance that could be considered the RESTORE function, for OEM provided win OS machines)

Then if I think it will matter to me, I save any /home data with rsync..

But, what I don't do is try to setup a backup schedule, and manage the backup media ( could be another hard drive or CD/DVDs or possibly a larger USB stick )
--I think home users really don't need to pay so much attention to backup and data safety, since they usually won't have a severe use of their systems, or lose money if there happens to be a problem..
  • maybe have to reinstall some programs (ignoring the ones they just tested..), and soldier ON..

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

DrHu wrote:--I think home users really don't need to pay so much attention to backup and data safety
You have got to be kidding. What about all the photos and videos of friends and family that could be lost forever? And that is just for starters.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

What about all the photos and videos of friends and family that could be lost forever?
I totally agree here, but not just a backup--redundant backups. Locally I use NAS as well as optical and usb ext drives,
but I also keep copies of my most important files in remote locations as well.

Hendrick
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hendrick »

Once a week I switch to Windows in order to backup the entire system. I'm using Acronis True Image for that purpose.
Mint 18.3 Xfce & Mint 19.3 Xfce

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Nope I wasn't kidding
--photos usually get transferred in, and there is always sync to a cloud service option..
  • I think the main problem with backups for most people is the details required(schedules, type of procedures) to manage them
    --that is the real issue
  • Then again losing important data is just as important, you get to decide the risk you take as the user-in-charge of your own system(s)
Anyway, I know the mantras
--always backup Just in case, an event can happen anytime
--always select a quality password Change every so often (monthly perhaps! ..

Just so happens, I don't agree to all of that
--but maybe as a general guide for users
  • Mention..
  • Importance of backups
  • Importance of security
  • Importance of monitoring system for issues
  • Importance of being a serious user..
    --knowing how to depend on the system and make it dependable for yourself..

turtlebay777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay777 »

I don't do any back ups. I live for today, yesterday is history and any important photos are already printed and in my photo albums. Important documents are printed on paper and filed away. Only important video is just for my wife and is of our wedding day and is stored on a VHS tape, couple of VHS machines stored away to use it with,

For most of my life I managed without a computer and can do so again at any time. Far less stress anyway!

H.Remedy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by H.Remedy »

I don't do any back ups. ... any important photos are already printed and in my photo albums. Important documents are printed on paper and filed away.
(So, by definition, you do make backups. Yours just happen not to be in digital form.)

Personally, I try to have two backups of my home folder: one on an external hard drive (updated every week), and one on a USB stick (updated every month or two). I keep the USB stick in a separate location in case of fire or theft.

At the moment, my backups are of the drag 'n drop variety. Not good. I have experimented with incremental sync tools like Backintime and LuckyBackup (both are frontends to rsync), but I can't get them to work properly. I don't know, I've always had trouble setting up backup software, even in my old Windows days. I can do seemingly far more complicated things, but not automated backups...

niowluka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by niowluka »

Last weekend I used rsync to move my data around and, by the way, create my very first backup of my mp3s, photos and home videos. Planning to schedule it, so it does regular and somewhat more structured backups.

For system backups I use tar, although I do them extremely rarely.
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 4.1.6 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC

DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan »

100% Partition level backups (RescueCD + fsarchiver - includes ntfs):

Weekly:
1. Backup of ops partition (/home is included in the ops partition). Do a cleanup on the ops partition before backup - bleachbit and T-Bird cleanup before rebooting into RescueCD (live CD)
2. Boot back to ops and do weekly dose of updates. Again bleachbit cleanup.
3. 2nd ops backup with booting to RescueCD + fsarchiver

As Required:
Data partition backups (~15 up to 100G each).

Partition level backups are stored (in compressed mode) on a 2TB internal.

Monthly : Latest partition level backups are also refreshed in an external 2TB drive (off line and off power when not in use).

The weekly sequence for the ops system backups gives me a recovery point should the pushed updates go bad (and yes it does happen on rare occassions).

The typical restore time for a 20G ops partition runs about 3-5 minutes.

This gives me a reasonable amount of recovery redundancy without too much effort. Since I've done recoveries with the above scheme, I know it works.

Just my addition to the subject.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

maybe 4 -5 times a year, copy any new / changed files in documents / download / pictures / manuals
- there is no music or movies, as such, - to a portable hdd.
this is across a couple of PCs.

- currently in the process of sorting out several years of stuff, and deleting lots of no-longer required data,
by moving to a new 1Tb hdd.
- the stored /download directory contains anything that was found useful, and saves having to download it again.
this has come handy when upgrading to a newer version of LinuxMint which no longer had those older software programs installed.
But - that can mean finding some missing dependencies, in order to install them again.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

MintyMorkyMindy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MintyMorkyMindy »

With Windows 7 I used the HDD provided version of Acronis Truimage to secure my data via images kept on a different HDD.

With Linux Mint 17 I haven't found software that could do the same, eg fast gui based image clone and restore (restore via OS or Boot CD/DVD).

After a lot of testing I have come to the conclusion that Grsync is indeed the best backup solution for my needs. Saving home to a different HDD is very fast and allows access to the complete structure, should parts of the directory need restoring. By creating different date folders, a usefriendly "time machine" is created.

Having a highly customised Firefox and several other customised software, the need to back up data is pretty much limited to the home directory. Everything else is more generic and easier to restore with a fresh reinstall.

I will watch the development of Grsync with interest.
Linux Mint since 5 October 2014 :D

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Pierre wrote:- the stored / download directory contains anything that was found useful, and saves having to download it again.
this has come handy when upgrading to a newer version of LinuxMint which no longer had those older software programs installed.
But - that can mean finding some missing dependencies, in order to install them again.
I have used this strategy, also. I backup the .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives and copy them into a new installation, before installing various programs.
It works for installing hard-to-find software, as Pierre said, and saves on download time for some programs and libraries.
It is a good strategy for those people who have restricted downloading limits or unreliable connections.
Linux Linx 2018

bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

My backup strategy has evolved since my beginnings with Mint (13-17). After trying/testing many pieces of backup software, I've settled on Clonezilla live. My hard drive has two data partitions (200gb ea) in addition to the Mint partition (sda1). One data partition has, well, data on it. Pictures, music, vids etc.
The other data partition is for backups of sda1, and misc other backups. I frequently boot Clonezilla (say weekly), and write a backup image of sda1 to sda4, the backup data partition. This takes approximately 10 minutes to write the image and check it. I also have an external drive of 320 gb that i hook up about every 6 weeks and use clonezilla to write a whole disk image to the external drive. This take approximately 45 minutes to write and check.

This strategy has covered every failure scenario that I've encountered so far. I've always liked to experiment--that's how I learn! Unfortunately, in the process, I've managed to hose my system pretty thoroughly! Most of the time it's a simple 5 minute restore of the latest sda1 backup. If say, I screw up grub, or need to restore the mbr, I copy the latest sda1 backup to the external drive, restore the latest disk image, then restore the latest sda1 backup. On my Windows systems, I've used Ghost for about 20 years, to do essentially the same thing.

Regards
Bob

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

for my daily work, I have the cloud (Dropbox). For a wider backup of important personal files, photos, collections, etc. I just copy all the files every two weeks to an external hdd.
In my "collections" are included some strategic system configurations, instructions and .deb files, in case of loss of the system (unlikely, because I'm very careful).
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)

nonymous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nonymous »

Once a week : LuckyBackup for documents, images, personal videos, to a Truecrypt container on an external HDD, that I leave at work.
The same thing on a TrueCrypt container on my NAS.

Return to “Software & Applications”