Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
amasa
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) Software Manager won't open

Post by amasa »

When I attemp to open Software Manager I get the "enter password" box, but when I enter the password nothing happens: the box disappears but the Software Manager does not appear. If I enter an incorrect password the system tells me that it is incorrect, so it would appear that the password is correct, but something is going wrong somewhere. Any advice on how to fix this would be most welcome.
Last edited by amasa on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Software Manager won't open

Post by xenopeek »

Try starting the application from the terminal; that may show you additional errors. To do so, open the terminal application from your menu and start Software Manager with the command: mintinstall

amasa
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Software Manager won't open

Post by amasa »

Thank you xenopeak.

Before I get on to mintinstall, I notice that there were earlier postings (2011) on this issue in Newbe questions which suggested running update and install from the terminal. So I tried these steps, but no luck, or maybe ... read on.

And as it happens, I had tried mintinstall a few minutes before seeing your post, and got output which ended with:

SystemError: E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_dists_precise_partner_i18n_Translation-en, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

This rang a bell because I had a message about Package headers earlier when poking about in in update logs, or somewhere.

So I have just been poking about again in search of this error and in this poking about seem to have triggered something which enabled Update Manager to run which in turn seems to have cleared out the blockage on Software Manager.

So all is good. At the moment. I don't know what was the cause of the original problem, or how I fixed it, but for the moment at least it seems to be fixed.

Thanks again for your suggestion

Return to “Software & Applications”