Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
walterdowis
Level 3
Level 3

How to run Garmin Express in Mint [Solved]

Post by walterdowis » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi all,
I'm a new Linux Mint user. I recently converted my pc from Windows 7 to Mint. I have most of my Windows functionality working in Mint except for one last program which is Garmin Express.
Garmin Express updates my Garmin Nuvi GPS's maps and firmware. There is not a Garmin Express version for Linux. I tried to install Garmin Express in Wine but the install failed.
Has anyone found a way to get Garmin Express to work with Mint? Thanks.
Last edited by walterdowis on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to run Garmin Express in Mint

Post by Pierre » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

walterdowis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by walterdowis » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:07 am

Thank you Pierre for your post and introducing me to Crossover. Crossover can't run Garmin Express but I'm glad to discover Crossover for other apps.

walterdowis
Level 3
Level 3

Post by walterdowis » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:16 pm

I found a solution that works. It's not a perfect solution, but it will run Garmin Express. I installed VMWare and installed Windows 7 into VMWare. Garmin Express runs in the Virtual Machine/Windows 7 with no problems.

baj
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to run Garmin Express in Mint [Solved]

Post by baj » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:54 am

This looks cool. Browser plugin for Linux. Don't see any mention of Nuvi in the device list though. No support for my 310XT yet either.

http://www.andreas-diesner.de/garminplugin/doku.php

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 am

I running vmware and I can't get Garmin Express to install. I start to get the rotating blue circle like the file is going to run and then nothing.
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop: HP6300 SFF Desktop: HP8000 USFF Desktop: Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint!

winemaker9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by winemaker9 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Funny thing...I'm working on the same issue. Here's what I've found...
Garmin Express works....EXCEPT...
I'm running Virtual Box under Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Guest is Win 7 Pro
I have been able to update the gps, BUT...can't do the maps at the moment.
The reason is simple, the virtual drive I created is 'only' 25 gig. By the time I got everything loaded up, it appears there isn't enough free space (it's asking for another 8 gig minimum) and I'm really not sure if I can simply enlarge the "c:\" virtual drive.
I've tried linking to one of my 'network' drives with plenty of space, but I haven't figured out how to tell the program to use that space. In other words, if you create virtualbox, I'd probably make the storage at least 40 (go for 50) gig for now and I betcha it'll work...
Not sure if you've used virtualbox before...can be a little tricky, but it works well if you dot the "I" and cross the "t' type stuff. If you aren't sure, drop me a msg and I'll let you know what else to download from the respositories...
BTW, Turbotax 2016 runs perfectly in the virtual win 7 ...
Steve

JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:23 am

I have it running in vmware virtual machine. I had a similar disk size problem with my vmware vm and I increased the virtual disk size with no problems. I guess the only thing you need to make sure of up front is that the drive your vm file is on has enough space to accommodate the larger virtual disk. Never could get it working in Crossover or Wine.
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop: HP6300 SFF Desktop: HP8000 USFF Desktop: Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint!

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:43 pm

You can resize your virtual drive
https://tuxict.wordpress.com/2016/01/21 ... image-vdi/

Edit : if you use OpenStreetMap maps you don't need Garmin express. Garmin firmware can be found on Garmin / GPS forums and can be installed by copying the firmware to the / or /garmin folder on your GPS
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Return to “Software & Applications”