Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
alexjgnana
Level 1
Level 1

Dropbox, applet/ indicator not appearing

Post by alexjgnana » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:55 am

Hello

I am new to Linux Mint and have recently updated to 17.1 (64bit, Cinnamon), further computer specifications are provided at the bottom of this message*.
A couple of days ago I noticed the Dropbox applet was not appearing in the panel after I booted up my computer and logged onto it.
I opened up terminal and typed "dropbox start", it told me Dropbox is already running.
By typing "dropbox stop" and then "dropbox start" I am able to get the applet to appear.
I have tried uninstalling dropbox and then reinstalling it using the deb package, synaptic package manager and the software manager but I still cannot get the applet to appear when the computer boots.
As I have mentioned above, the service is running, so it does not appear to be a problem with that - it appears to be a problem with the applet.
I searched on the internet and have also tried installing "libappindicator1" as directed in many forum posts, but this also does not work.
I have also checked that the Notifications applet is installed and in place.
I read something about resizing the panel, but I have been unable to make this work.
The Dropbox packages I have installed are "dropbox" and "nemo-dropbox"
Any help you can offer would be most welcome.

Kind regards
Alex

*CPU~Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M CPU (-HT-MCP-) clocked at 800.000 Mhz Kernel~3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 Up~23 min Mem~738.6/5872.0MB HDD~640.1GB(5.7% used) Procs~181 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.4
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged two similar posts; Moved to 'Software and Applications'

Camillus
Level 1
Level 1

Dropbox tray icon and a bit wireless wildness.

Post by Camillus » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:31 am

Hi!

After the recent updates the wifi card and the dropbox gone wild. I have fix'd the wifi card after some search, but the dropbox icon won't appear on the dock(tray).

My config is mint 17 with xfce. I install all sec update. The last four was xserver-xorg-core, xserver-xephyr, xserver-common, linux-libc-dev.

ty

Tart
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dropbox tray icon and a bit wireless wildness.

Post by Tart » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:47 pm

I am experiencing same issue on linux mint 17 Qiana mate (my desktop) and xfce (laptop) after update. Dropbox still running

Code: Select all

dropbox status
but icon not showing in the system tray.

Some updates:
Reinstalling dropbox did not help. Running following on mate machine did not help (just broke my menu setup)

mate-panel --reset

dexl
Level 3
Level 3

What's up with Dropbox icon on Rebecca ---really cheesy!

Post by dexl » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:31 am

My Dropbox icon isn't showing up at all now that I've upgraded to LM 17.1. It shows up as "sleeping" in System Monitor, but I don't see the icon on the bottom panel. Does anyone know how to fix that? Thanks.

SteveIDusa
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dropbox, applet/ indicator not appearing

Post by SteveIDusa » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:37 pm

I am also having an issue with the Dropbox Status Tray Icon in Linux Mint 17.1 Mate Edition. I however can see the Icon on the default theme Mint-X but the new drop box Icon is showing up as white on a black back ground.

http://busnetserver.servegame.com/ForumScreens.html (Click for Example)

Does anyone know where this Status Icon image for Dropbox is located? I would really like to edit it so that it is showing up with maybe a black outline rather than a black background.
For me it started with Linux Mint 6, and there is no going back

San_A
Level 1
Level 1

[17.1 Cinnamon] Dropbox icon turning black

Post by San_A » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:18 pm

Dropbox had an update recently. On my desktop, the icon looks like this
dropboxIcon.png
dropboxIcon.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 20012 times
This black square is not supposed to be here. Not a big deal really but I find it a bit annoying. I have tried to remove Dropbox and reinstall it, didn't help.

Any idea?

Many thanks!

norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What's up with Dropbox icon on Rebecca ---really cheesy!

Post by norm.h » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:53 am

dexl wrote:My Dropbox icon isn't showing up at all now that I've upgraded to LM 17.1. It shows up as "sleeping" in System Monitor, but I don't see the icon on the bottom panel. Does anyone know how to fix that? Thanks.
I'm running Mint 17 & have the same problem.
It was there yesterday, but gone this morning.

norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:46 am

This morning the icon has reappeared - without any input from me.
It's telling me that "Dropbox 3.0.3" is up to date, and this is confirmed by checking the contents of my Dropbox folder.

My Package Manager is still telling I have the latest version (1.6.2) so Dropbox has obviously updated itself automatically.
I wonder if Package Manager will catch up eventually?

jbrock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbrock » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:06 pm

I initially had tried the latest version, 3.0.3, and there was no icon. So I uninstalled. Then I installed Dropbox version 2.10.51, and the icon is there. I hope it will let me upgrade and keep the icon.

64 bit systems

$ cd ~
$ wget -c https://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-2.10.51.tar.gz
$ tar -xzvf dropbox-lnx.x86_64-2.10.51.tar.gz
$ cd ~/.dropbox-dist
$ sudo chmod +x dropboxd
$ ./dropboxd
32 bit systems

$ cd ~
$ wget -c https://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/dropbox-lnx.x86-2.10.51.tar.gz
$ tar -xzvf dropbox-lnx.x86-2.10.51.tar.gz
$ cd ~/.dropbox-dist
$ sudo chmod +x dropboxd
$ ./dropboxd
I got this info from here:
http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-dropbo ... ux-systems

Then make sure you add the Dropbox daemon to Startup Applications.

/home/USERNAME/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd
When you set up Dropbox you might have an issue with it saying this: "There is a file here called Dropbox. Please select a different location."
I bypassed this issue by doing the following:
1. Quit the Dropbox application.
2. Name your Dropbox folder with your files in it something like Dropbox1.
3. Start Dropbox again by running the daemon mentioned above.
4. Let it add the Dropbox folder and start syncing a new folder. This is only necessary for a second.
5. Quit the Dropbox application.
6. Delete the newly added Dropbox folder. Then rename Dropbox1 (the folder with your files in it) to Dropbox.
7. Restart the Dropbox application.

These steps will avoid that you would have to delete your current folder and re-download everything. It basically tricks the application. It will spend a while indexing all of the files, but it should be good to go after that.
Last edited by jbrock on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:10 am

norm.h wrote:This morning the icon has reappeared - without any input from me.
It's telling me that "Dropbox 3.0.3" is up to date, and this is confirmed by checking the contents of my Dropbox folder.
My Package Manager is still telling I have the latest version (1.6.2) so Dropbox has obviously updated itself automatically. I wonder if Package Manager will catch up eventually?
When I cold booted this morning, again there was no icon - and I later powered off.
When I cold booted again several hours later, behold - an icon.
I'm wondering if there is a conflict between the two versions, and what, if anything, I could or should do about it?

jbrock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbrock » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:55 pm

I reported the bug to Dropbox and included a link to this forum posting. I am not 100% sure however whether it should have been reported to Dropbox or to Linux Mint.

(Update, 12-18-14, 11:35 pm GMT)
From Dropbox:
Thank you for alerting us to this problem. Dropbox engineers are aware of the problem and are working on a solution.
Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
Regards,

norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:11 am

I normally use my laptop, keeping my desktop as a "backup" machine, which I boot up every so often to run Update Manager.
My laptop still has the issue described above, but the desktop is showing Dropbox as version 2.10.52, and the Package Manager shows 1.6.2 (same as laptop). The desktop has the icon as normal.

Given that Dropbox updates itself automatically, what triggers such an update and is hardware relevant?

I have asked about the icon issue on another forum where I know Windows users run Dropbox, but they haven't reported any problems. So is it just related to Linux?

Edit: Powered up the lappie this afternoon - Dropbox 3.0.3 icon is there............ :roll:

jbrock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbrock » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:53 pm

I am fairly certain that the icon disappearing is just on certain Linux distros, not Windows or OS X. I have a Windows 7 partition and my wife a Mac, and the icon was fine on those systems.

Antropomorfo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Antropomorfo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm having the same problem with Mint 17.1 mate and Dropbox version 3.0.4. The icon keeps disapearing. I've tried reinstalling it and erasing the log files, it keeps disapearing.

mariocalin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mariocalin » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:00 pm

I use Mint 17.1 MATE and I have the same problem with the dropbox icon.

deleted

Post by deleted » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:23 pm

My dropbox icon had a black background until I reverted back to Nouveau. You wouldn't be running NVidia drivers would you?
-Hinto

norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:44 am

On my desktop box -yes, but it's still running version 2.10.52 (Dropbox hasn't yet updated itself) and there is no icon problem.
On my laptop however, also running Mint 17 and no nvidia drivers, the appearance of the icon was spasmodic, but I haven't seeen it for days.

crong
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crong » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:56 am

I have two fresh installs of 17.1 Cinnamon:

1) 64-bit: Problem exactly as originally described. Icon consistently disappears after first restart. Dropbox continues to work except no notifications. Icon & notifications are restored with:

dropbox stop
dropbox start
2) 32-bit: No problem

Dropbox is v 3.0.4 in both cases.

If it makes any difference, the 64-bit machine is using the onboard Intel graphics and the 32-bit machine has old ATI graphics. Neither is using proprietory drivers.

crong
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crong » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:27 am

I added a 5s delay to the startup (System Settings > Preferences > Startup Applications) which I would say is a solution except that it is being reset to zero at boot (so it only works once).

Edit: I guess this is why some are finding the disappearance of the icon to be intermittent - something during startup is interfering with it but if it doesn't happen at precisely the right/wrong moment then dropboxd will start.

I tried disabling the Dropbox startup (both by unchecking it and using "dropbox autostart n") and creating my own but it seems that the default Dropbox startup is recreated whenever Dropbox is started so that didn't work.

I tried adding "dropbox stop" after 5s and "dropbox start" after 7s but that didn't work either.

Working solution:

1) Create "dropbox.sh" containing the following:

#!/bin/bash
dropbox stop
dropbox start
2) Give this file executable permissions (right-click, Properties, Permissions, "Allow executing file as a program" = checked)

3) System Settings > Preferences > Startup Applications > Add

Name: dropbox temp fix
Command: [browse to dropbox.sh]
Startup delay: 5 seconds

4) Save, close and restart.

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scrognoid » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:48 pm

dropbox Stop/start did not fix it for me with Mint 17 MATE 64.
Linux Mint 19.1 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

Return to “Software & Applications”