Dropbox, applet/ indicator not appearing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drob

Re: Dropbox, applet/ indicator not appearing

Post by drob »

Anybody having problems with icon not reappearing after suspend with the update?
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

In the past two days the icon just appears normally. Let's see if this fix is permanent. I have LMDE Mate.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
crong

Post by crong »

Well, it's not working for me.

I have 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit and, although Dropbox has upgraded itself to 3.2.6, I'm still have to use the stop start method to get the tray icon.

Even worse, I have 17 Cinnamon 32-bit on a remote server and Dropbox won't start at all as of today, presumably following an upgrade. Completely removing & re-installing it doesn't help.
crong

Post by crong »

I have solved my problem by switching to Copy.

It seems to be superior to Dropbox in just about every way and if you use my referral code we both get an extra 5GB:

Edit: My referral code is maxed out. Go to http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=190037 and see if someone has posted a valid one.

Instructions for the uninitiated:

You can create an account on the website or from the application (I did it on the website first)
Download the tarball from the main page
Extract with Archive Manager
Navigate to the subfolder for your distro (x86_64 for 64 bit systems, x86 for 32 bit systems), e.g.
cd Downloads/copy/x86_64
./CopyAgent &
It will subsequently start on boot

Finding reviews is tricky because it has such a generic name so it's easier to search for "copy vs dropbox"

I like it.
Last edited by crong on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Definitively, for me, the dropbox applet problem is gone in the two computers I use more frequently: a desktop with LMDE Mate, and a laptop with LM17.1 Xfce.

About Copy: yes, I have it installed and is good, works mostly like Dropbox and has an applet in the notification area of the bar, but recently I have had issues with this applet (copyagent): cannot start and show an error message.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
crong

Post by crong »

My copyagent applet didn't start this morning because I accidentally the extracted folder from which the program runs :roll:

Anyway, this thread is about Dropbox so I've created http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=190037 for Copy.
pollama

Post by pollama »

I have LM 17 Xfce, and the daemon (Dropbox 3.2.6) stops working after screen lock. The two ways I found to put it back when this happens are:
1) Restarting X
2) Using the stop / start command.

As you've said here, the only thing that it breaks is the daemon, because the files keep syncing. But it is really annoying (and makes me seriously think about fleeing from this miserly Dropbox service [4GB, I mean, ¿really? ¿Who's the boss in Dropbox? ¿Mr. Scrooge or something? ¿Or maybe Mr. Burns?]).
theoldfellow

Post by theoldfellow »

and I have exactly the same problem with Megasync (similar to dropbox)
it's probably a library that has changed recently.
vagoberto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vagoberto »

I have a similar issue with megasync. The program is running but the applet does not appear.
A workaround is to kill the application and to run it again (killall megasync; megasync).
lmjuergens

Post by lmjuergens »

I had the same problem, it might have to do with what display/graphics drivers you're using. When I was using the official Nvidia drivers for my card under Linux Mint 17.1, I was getting the ugly black background on the Dropbox icon even though the actual icon has a transparent background. I uninstalled all the Nvidia proprietary drivers (sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*) and it all went away on next restart, along with some OS freezing issues I was suffering from. Again, it might not actually have been just the Nvidia drivers causing the problem but after I did that, it went away and looks the way like it used to again.
zedi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zedi »

from: → http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=38154&p=2
Q. "This happens because nvidia driver overrode OpenGL library (libGL.so). This workaround works for me on kubuntu 14.04.
1) close dropbox session
2) find your nvidia system folder: in my systems it's /usr/lib/nvidia-304 (if you using another version of nvidia driver, for instance nvidia-331, your directory should be /usr/lib/nvidia-331
3) find dropbox system library: in my system it's /var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-3.0.5/
4) backup your's dropbox OpenGL library:
mv libGL.so.1 libGL.so.1_backup
5) make symbolic link to nvidia's OpenGL library:
ln -sf /usr/lib/nvidia-304/libGL.so.304.125 /var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-3.0.5/libGL.so.1
6) start up dropbox"
In my case (Rebecca - Cinnamon) p.5 command was: ↓
ln -sf /usr/lib32/nvidia-340/libGLESv1_CM.so.340.76 /home/zedi/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-3.4.4/libGL.so.1
Redsandro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Redsandro »

Mint 17.2 Cinnamon x64 here. No dropbox icon.

Fix for current session:

Code: Select all

dropbox stop && dropbox start
Very annoying though.

(Intel Graphics - no proprietary driver)
🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.
jbrock

Post by jbrock »

I was having this issue on Dropbox version 3.6.9 on Xubuntu 14.04. Try this:
1. Open Dropbox Preferences. Deselect 'Start Dropbox on system startup'
2. Go to Session and Startup > Application Autostart (I am not sure what this is called exactly on Cinnamon.)
3. Add a new item with this command:

Code: Select all

/home/USERNAME/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

This fixed it for me on Xubuntu 14.04. I hope it will work for you too.
Redsandro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Redsandro »

In Cinnamon it's called Startup Applications.
Unfortunately this is not working for me.
afab4

Post by afab4 »

I was able to get past this by putting an 8 second time delay in the dropbox.desktop file located in the autostart directory. However, each time I booted, the time delay would disappear in the dropbox.desktop file and the Dropbox applet failed to start as a result.
From researching this I found that Dropbox overwrites the dropbox.desktop file each time the computer is booted.
My fix was to configure the dropbox.desktop file with the 8 second delay and then change the file attribute to read-only.
This has been working well on Mint 17.2 Cinnamon.
Redsandro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Redsandro »

~/.config/autostart/dropbox.desktop

Clever. Although sometimes when I suspend and resume, the icon is gone again. But upon investigation, it's because the dropbox service is stopped. How does this happen?
emvoo

Post by emvoo »

Ive just had exactly same issue with dropbox icon not appearing in applets. To fix it Ive added 1 second delay to dropbox on startup in startup applications

Cinnamon 17.2

edit.

afetr reboot i went back to no delay. so what i did was in dropbox preferences switched on startup option off, rebooted so dropbox disappeared from startup applications. added dropbox manually and set delay to 1s and seems to be working now
LoveMIntLinux

Post by LoveMIntLinux »

I don't think this is a problem with dropbox per se, I think this problem occurs with commands which are run on startup which create an applet.

Having the same problem with rescuetime.

EDIT: Can confirm the problem was solved by delaying the running of the command by 20 seconds.
Running Linux Mint 17 Qiana
GPSWally

Post by GPSWally »

I was able to get this to work by delaying the start of Dropbox by 40 (I think it's seconds) in startup applications. But the delayed start won't stay after a startup. So to get it to stay, what I did was create a new command and putting the same setting in as Dropbox has. I called it Dropbox Delay. Here is a screen shot of what I did.

[img]/home/waltebg/Pictures/Screenshot%20from%202016-01-01%2017:18:18.png[/img]
LoveMIntLinux

Post by LoveMIntLinux »

GPSWally wrote:I was able to get this to work by delaying the start of Dropbox by 40 (I think it's seconds) in startup applications. But the delayed start won't stay after a startup. So to get it to stay, what I did was create a new command and putting the same setting in as Dropbox has. I called it Dropbox Delay. Here is a screen shot of what I did.

[img]/home/waltebg/Pictures/Screenshot%20from%202016-01-01%2017:18:18.png[/img]
Can you not use the 'Startup Applications' GUI?

Just updated to 17.3 and I don't think the problem has gone away, in some respects the problem is worse as even with a 36sec on startup applets sometimes do not appear.

Return to “Software & Applications”