Installing Ubuntu packages

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Installing Ubuntu packages

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Hardy Heron is the release that Elyssa uses. I am running the debian lenny shame repo for compiz-fusion and I have also upgraded many packages to Ubuntu Intrepid.

You should be able to use any .deb package, but you may run into massive dependency issues. With so many supported versions of distros running .deb packages there are also many versions of the same package. Also, be careful about enabling another distros repo and doing a general upgrade. You may wind up running that distro instead of Mint 5! In fact, I have posed the question to others about the possibility of upgrading Mint 5 to debian Lenny. I may try this on a spare computer just to see what happens. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Mint is "compatible with Ubuntu Hardy and its repositories." So you can download packages for Hardy (8.04) without problem.
craigvanaman wrote:can I add ubuntu repositories to the mint source list?
They are already there, in your sources.list (some are enabled by default, for others you must remove the '##' before the address of the repos)

e.g see here for an example of a default sources.list
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Done anyway careful with the 'Backports & Proposed' repos, they are not necessarily as stable as the others (not that the others are always great but anyway...)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Software & Applications”