Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
glhallway
Level 1
Level 1

WINE and NVIDIA 331 delete

Post by glhallway » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:57 pm

I can't find the answer so I'll try a new post. I have installed 32 bit 17.1 had 64 bit 17 before, Wine ran fine on 17x64. Now when I try to install WINE on 17.1x32 I get message saying, " This will delete Nvidia 331". My PC is Acer Aspire 1.8x2 intel 2gb RAM Nvidia HDMI 256 VRAM. The reason I went to 32 bit is only 2gb RAM and everyone said that 32 bit would run better. I do like 17.1 in my opinion best Distro ever but I need to run some MS stuff for business and need WINE. Does anyone know of a solution to this or a work arround? If not then all I can think to do is go back to Mint17 64 but don't want to.

How will this effect the graphics if I just say ignore and install Wine?

Thanks

dany18
Level 1
Level 1

Re: WINE and NVIDIA 331 delete

Post by dany18 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:06 am

First of all Linux mint 64 bit is used for computers(Laptops,tablets ,pc), that have the following requirements or better:4 gb of RAM,64 bit Proccesor.

The 64 bit version takes advantage of any hardware resources to make it quicker.

If you install WIne and that deletes you nvidia driver you will get less performance by the nouveu or something like that. A driver made by the linux comunity to replace nvidia official in a time when NVIDIA didin't play nice on Linux.

But maybe there is another solution to your problem.

What software are you using on Windows maybe there is a replacement in Linux for it.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:48 am

You can get the latest Wine betas here by adding the PPA in your Software Sources program.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:00 pm

need to run some MS stuff for business
Don't intend to be discouraging -- but in all likelyhood, that's NOT going to turn out well.

Why?

Because among other Windows apps that businesses use is MS Office -- which won't work well in Wine, and some Office components don't work at all in Wine.

You can check out the apps and versions yourself at the following link: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... nding=true

Anything not listed has not been tested -- leaving you on your own to get it working.

Anything listed but rated lower than Gold is going to be a waste of your time installing because so much functionality is missing, that it's all but useless.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Get noted, that this thread is a duplicate of another one, and that the topic was marked as solved in between less than 2 hours.

Side note: I am a little bit astonished, that the mods here do not close or delete such duplicates. Obviously the topic starter submitted the same post erroneously 2 times in the same minute.

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:53 pm

Cosmo. wrote:Side note: I am a little bit astonished, that the mods here do not close or delete such duplicates. Obviously the topic starter submitted the same post erroneously 2 times in the same minute.

Usually someone does, this one must've slipped through the net.. This must be 'the exception that proves the rule' :mrgreen:
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “Software & Applications”