Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
omen_187
Level 1
Level 1

Miniupdate Fail

Post by omen_187 »

New Mint User,

I have done a search but could not find info on this topic that seemed to be the same. In the update manager I have 1 item - Miniupdate. When I hit install I get this message - W: Failed to fetch http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... .8_all.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 204.45.82.194 80]

Any help would be greatful.
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Miniupdate Fail

Post by WinterTroubles »

Mint update is now on 4.7.9 and the fail to fetch error is for 4.7.8, which is no longer on the servers.. Yes there has been more than one revision in quick succession :lol:

Try hitting refresh in the update manager and checking which version is now offered, if 4.7.9 is still not offered try changing Mirror in use for 'Main' in software sources. Then refreshing and trying again.

Hope this helps.
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
ApexEverything
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ApexEverything »

I don't know if this is related, but since Mint comes packaged with VLC Media player and uses Ubuntu core it might. VLC website is missing the /pub directory pointed to in the software updater and sources.list file. In Ubuntu updater the error looks like this -

Failed to fetch http://download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable/Sources 404 Not Found [IP: 195.154.236.203 80]

The developers over at VLC don't seem to understand what the problem is as their response to messages on their forum are one line quick responses and then nothing about that path being "old" and unsupported. The ftp site is still there however. I dunno, I hope this isn't the beginnings of libdvdcss going away. That's what got me using UNIX based OS's in the 1st place after purchasing "Everywhere" rated DVDs that would not play in a region 1 player. Fingers crossed...
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

The problem reported by omen_187 is absolutely unrelated to any re-arranged Videolan download folder structure. :wink:
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Seaside Rendezvous
ApexEverything
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ApexEverything »

karlchen wrote:The problem reported by omen_187 is absolutely unrelated to any re-arranged Videolan download folder structure. :wink:
OK, good news from VLC is they lost a disc drive and libdvdcss is safe and sound.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

OK, bad news from me:

You did either not read, what karlchen wrote, or you did not understand.

In simple words: This is here Off Topic!

Return to “Software & Applications”