Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ArthurTonyPark
Level 1
Level 1

Kate terminates on open or save

Post by ArthurTonyPark » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:32 am

I installed Kate from Mint 17.1 Software Manager. It appears to install correctly and run (including allowing text editing), but crashes as soon as you click 'open' or 'save' (or select them from the menu). If run from the terminal, I get the output below. Any ideas about what I can do to fix this?

myusername@myusername-mint ~ $ kate
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kate(20371)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Error: standard icon theme "oxygen" not found!

kate(20371): No ksycoca4 database available!

kate(20371)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers: KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "KTextEditor/Plugin" not found
kate(20371): No ksycoca4 database available!

kate(20371)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers: KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "Kate/Plugin" not found
kate(20371) KXMLGUI::ActionList::plug: Index 2 is not within range (0 - 1
kate(20371) fileModule: Failed to load configured file module "kfilemodule"
KCrash: Application 'kate' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start from kdeinit
KCrash: Connect sock_file=/home/myusername/.kde/socket-myusername-mint/kdeinit4__0
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
KCrash: Attempting to start directly
KCrash failed to exec(), errno = 2
Unable to start Dr. Konqi
Not forwarding the crash to Apport.
You learn something new every day. Especially if you've just started using Linux.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Kate terminates on open or save

Post by richyrich » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:11 am

Since you have posted in the Main Edition section, I'm assuming you are using either the Cinnamon or Mate Edition . . A quote from the Mint 17.1 Release Notes :
Issues with KDE apps
If you're experiencing issues with KDE apps (Okular, Gwenview, KStars..etc) run the following command:

Code: Select all

apt install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins
Note: These issues do not affect the KDE edition. A regression in KDE 4.14 prevents these applications from working fine out of the box outside of KDE.

ArthurTonyPark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ArthurTonyPark » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:33 am

Yes, Cinnamon.

This works, thanks.

I'm have zero experience in the maintainance of linux repositories and I imagine it is a massive job (and I'm also aware that I didn't quite RTFM), but could the mint repo not include these libs as dependencies for kate?
You learn something new every day. Especially if you've just started using Linux.

Hitmark7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hitmark7 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:30 am

I've had the same problem on my Linux Mate 17.1 with MATE, and installing those libs fixed it too. On the other hand, the icons that Kate should show on its interface are gone. I can't see the usual cross image on the dialogs cancel button, for example. How can I get them back? Maybe with another package install?

Thanks.

Hitmark7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hitmark7 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:02 am

My missing icons issue has been fixed just by installing the package oxygen-icon-theme . Hope this helps others with the same problem.

Johannes87
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Johannes87 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:10 am

I had the same problem with the missing icons and the installation of the package oxygen-icon-theme also fixed it. Thanks a lot.

valhalla_dweller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by valhalla_dweller » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 am

Richyrich's solution fixed it for me too. I get it now. The K in Kate is for KDE and although the kernels are all linux, some of these apps are for specific desktops.. Didn't know you could mix it around like that, put a KDE app on a Cinnamon desktop..

cacus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cacus » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:14 am

ArthurTonyPark wrote:Yes, Cinnamon.

This works, thanks.

I'm have zero experience in the maintainance of linux repositories and I imagine it is a massive job (and I'm also aware that I didn't quite RTFM), but could the mint repo not include these libs as dependencies for kate?
I have the same question!!!

Return to “Software & Applications”