Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Fullscreen Steam movies playing in bottom left of screen

Post by Yfrwlf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:12 pm

See my Github bug report for this here and please comment to help confirm this bug:

Steam Github bug

I'm getting this on two completely different computers with different hardware and different displays. When full-screen Steam client Flash movies play they reflect the size of the Steam client window, except their position is always in the bottom left. Even though the controls also display there, to hit the button to unmaximize the Flash video, you have to carefully try to find the button by hovering my mouse in the right bottom corner where the button should be. The button highlights when you're in the right location. So, for some reason the controls think the player is properly maximized even though it is not.

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2
Last edited by Yfrwlf on Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wywer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Fullscreen Steam movies playing on left 1/3rd of screen

Post by wywer » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:14 am

Yfrwlf wrote:I just wanted to see if anyone else was having this happen to them. When full-screen Steam videos play they are stretched from top to bottom on the left 1/3rd of my monitor, along with the controls and everything. However, to hit the button to unmaximize the Flash video, I have to carefully try to find the button by hovering my mouse in the right bottom corner where the button should be. The button highlights when I'm in the right location. So, for some reason the controls all think the player is properly maximized even though it is not.

I'm on a 4K monitor using high DPI mode, but even while in "normal" DPI mode it does the same thing. Videos play fine if they aren't maximized.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Totem also has a weird bug due to "Double Hi/High-DPI" mode I assume that makes all movies play in the bottom 1/4th of the player. It might be related to this same bug. VLC plays videos fine though!
Hi Yfrwlf,
Hi there!I am presuming you are narrating a problem with totem and not a web browser! In the pecking order of multi-media players in LM,VLC(general consensus)rules!-ranked First.In the Linux World-SMPlayer is ranked Second and is my all time fav.You'll have to open Software Manager and in the search box,type"SMPlayer",and click on install.I have been using and losing totem right from LM Maya's days and in my opinion -needs no rank and i have been twisted into knots,tying to unravel it's myriad mysteries!

In an attempt to keep things plain & simple-kindly avoid using totem unless you wish to use it "come what may"-the following part of my reply is useless!If you are open to an alternate-"read on" :arrow: you've already have experienced the wonders of VLC! Ideally,SMPlayer can be your back-up M-M player.If you feel like having another-"Banshee"is good.The defining difference between VLC and SMPlayer is when you are watching a video(not Streaming),say, for 20 minutes,and you need to watch the rest of the video later-in VLC you'll have to start from the beginning.SMPlayer remembers where you have stopped and the next time you play that video"under-recent files",it continues from where you stopped-sort of seamless!
If you are facing probs. with watching embedded streaming videos in a browser,you'll have to provide more details! If you were having probs. with the "monitor"-that's a different case altogether!Peace.
regards-W.Jet
PS:Ultimately,clarity rules :wink: !
LM MATE 64 bit Rebecca
ASUS X550LC NoteBook
MoBo ASUSTek
Bios American Megatrends Ver:X550LC.303
Dual core Intel Core i5-4200U
Graphics Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated
X.org 1.15.1
Audio Intel Lynx HD + Intel Haswell HD
Sound ALSA
HDD 750.2GB

wywer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wywer » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:53 am

Have you downloaded and installed the "ubuntu-restricted-extras",after installing LM?Peace.
regards--W.Jet
LM MATE 64 bit Rebecca
ASUS X550LC NoteBook
MoBo ASUSTek
Bios American Megatrends Ver:X550LC.303
Dual core Intel Core i5-4200U
Graphics Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated
X.org 1.15.1
Audio Intel Lynx HD + Intel Haswell HD
Sound ALSA
HDD 750.2GB

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:58 am

You do not need to install the ubuntu-restricted-extras, all multimedia player codecs are installed by default in Mint, they are called mint-meta-codecs

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:39 am

This thread is about full-screen Steam Client Flash movies...my other thread was about Totem. I just mentioned Totem here in case it was related to my 4K monitor and/or high-dpi mode. It is not. I've edited my post to hopefully be a bit more clear.

I just verified on a completely different computer on a 1080p display (so no high-dpi mode there) that full-screen Steam Flash movies are broken there as well.

Does anyone here have Steam installed who is also getting it? Obviously the issue happening on two separate computers of mine means it is probably universal.

It being Flash and Steam I'm not sure how much can be done other than filing a bug report to Adobe and/or Valve. Just trying to get any feedback or ideas about it. Flash in Firefox works great and I've never had an issue with full-screen movies in Youtube or anything else. If both Steam and Firefox use the same version of Flash (even though they are different packages) then perhaps it is Valve's poor Flash video player implementation that is the culprit (I REALLY wish they would switch to HTML5 videos). I'll see about filing a github Steam bug! :D

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:00 am

wywerjet wrote:....I have been using and losing totem right from LM Maya's days and in my opinion -needs no rank and i have been twisted into knots,tying to unravel it's myriad mysteries! ...
Just a comment having SFA to do with the OP's issue ... I have to agree with this. Totem is the WORST media program I have ever seen available in the ubuntu repos.

It's not even worth the effort to uninstall. Easier to change defaults in settings and file manager.

Why it's included (let alone as default) makes me wonder how much they're 'donating'. Not that ubuntu is much better ...

justtrying
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justtrying » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:50 pm

YESSSSS, i have the same problem......it started happening about 6 weeks ago and is not resolved despite several mint updates to the "steam client flash plugin" .
Infact i think it is worse now because, in the past i used to be able to exit this mixed up full screen by just right clicking anywhere on the screen ....now i can not even do this and the only way to exit this "1/3 full flash screen" is by hitting ALT and TAB and exite the steam program....The issue does not happen on utube or anywhere else in my web browser or anyother program ! it only happens in the steam client.
The other thing I noticed is that if i maximize the steam client before i play the video, it playes correctly and takes the actual full screen and the controls work perfectly. I have a 4k moniter and Nvidia GTX 970
It seems that someone is aware of this problem because i have seen several steam client flash mint updates lately . but the problem has not been resolved yet, let us hope they keep working to resolve the issue.
please let me know if you find a solution to this .
cheers!

Yfrwlf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yfrwlf » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:06 pm

justtrying wrote:YESSSSS, i have the same problem......it started happening about 6 weeks ago and is not resolved despite several mint updates to the "steam client flash plugin" .
Infact i think it is worse now because, in the past i used to be able to exit this mixed up full screen by just right clicking anywhere on the screen ....now i can not even do this and the only way to exit this "1/3 full flash screen" is by hitting ALT and TAB and exite the steam program....The issue does not happen on utube or anywhere else in my web browser or anyother program ! it only happens in the steam client.
The other thing I noticed is that if i maximize the steam client before i play the video, it playes correctly and takes the actual full screen and the controls work perfectly. I have a 4k moniter and Nvidia GTX 970
It seems that someone is aware of this problem because i have seen several steam client flash mint updates lately . but the problem has not been resolved yet, let us hope they keep working to resolve the issue.
please let me know if you find a solution to this .
cheers!
Thanks for chiming in!

I've created a Github entry for this bug. Please post there too and help confirm the bug!

Steam Github bug

By the way, you can unmaximize the video by hovering your mouse cursor where the unmaximize button should be, in the lower right of your screen, and you'll see the button light up on the left side once you have it in the right place.

Also, you'll notice that the size of the video reflects the size of the Steam client window, but it will always be shown in the bottom left of your monitor. You can actually stretch the video and make it look funny by having the Steam client window be whatever shape.

Return to “Software & Applications”