Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cyclguy
Level 1
Level 1

Get rid of Firefox!

Post by cyclguy »

I don't understand why LinuxMint continues to include Mozilla Firefox as the default browser. Firefox has devolved to the point where it is more of a hindrance than an aset. It needs to go. The first thing I do when installing Mint is replace Firefox. Why? It is incredibly unstable. It freezes constantly, it continually tries to override my Lastpass plug-in making Lastpas almost useless. When 5 or more tabs open it will lock up completely requiring a restart.

Look at forums related to Firefox and you will find an overwhelming number of people who cannot stand Firefox due to its terrible performance.

Please find and include a different default browser for Linux Mint. The OS is too good to have to put up with a piece of trash browser.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Get rid of Firefox!

Post by karlchen »

Hello, cyclguy.
cyclguy wrote:[...] Firefox. Why? It is incredibly unstable. It freezes constantly, [...]
Hey, please, tell me what I have to do in order to reproduce this problem! I use Firefox daily for my office work, 8 hours ++ and it hardly ever freezes. I'd say never. But maybe it froze once during the past year and I only forgot so.
(Linux Mint 13 64-bit Cinnamon 2.0.14 with Firefox 35.0 + Classic Theme Restorer 1.2.8.2 + RedCats 5.7.0, all running happily and in a stable way on a Dell Latitude E6330)

Seriously:
You may like or dislike Firefox, this is your personal point of view and all right.
In case you intend to get help on analyzing and solving the problems which you experience, please, give us your system specs and explain your Firefox setup (which non-default plugins e.g.)
In case you intend to air your frustration only, well, fine, you have done so.

Cheers,
Karl
--
P.S.: No need to stress that I am writing this in my beloved trash browser.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

karlchen wrote:,,, explain your Firefox setup (which non-default plugins e.g.)
I do not believe, that he will be able to do this. As he "replaces FF as the first thing he does when he installs Mint" there can no personal setting exist. And assuming, that he does not install Mint every day newly, his last experience with FF seems to be far away.

Therefor it is inconsequently - or may I say a bluff -, when he describes it in a way, as if he would have current experience from today or yesterday.

There are several complaints, which can be made about FF, but as long as one does not use nightlys (which will never come via packages), FF is stable - some special hardware- and software-configurations are the exception. Here it gets started in the morning and closed in the night, with numerous tabs, and mostly 2 windows open. No freeze, no crash, the only things, what "constantly" happens: FF runs.
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

cyclguy wrote:it continually tries to override my Lastpass plug-in making Lastpas almost useless. When 5 or more tabs open it will lock up completely requiring a restart.
In the 6 years I have been solely Linux on my desktop, I have never had such an issue with LastPass or Firefox.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Why? It is incredibly unstable.

Maybe you're not pressing the button hard enough.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hi cyclguy Welcome to Mint,

You have your opinions , but can not replicate them here FF works fine 99.9% of the time. I also use Chrome and Opera Beta 27 and all them have their strengths and weaknesses, but nothing as drastic as you report.
give us more info on what's happening and your set up and we will try to help.
in the mean time use which ever browser works for you .
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
UgoRipley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by UgoRipley »

I know, useless post, but well...I'm just another perfectly satisfied user of FireFox, not had a single crash with many simultaneously open tabs.
ugo@LinuxMint17 ~ $ inxi -Sx
System: Host: LinuxMint17 Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.8.2) - Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.6 (Gtk 3.10.8-0ubuntu1.6) - Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
theStreak
Level 3
Level 3

Post by theStreak »

Hmmm, Firefox works great on all of my Mint installs.
Practice safe computing -- use a live CD
Level 3

Post by Distro-Don »

theStreak wrote:Hmmm, Firefox works great on all of my Mint installs.
Mine too! Never have had any problems with it in a number of years and a number of installs.
Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 »

No problems here with FF, got it tweaked quite nicely but other browsers can be found in software centre or synaptic quite easily,

have you tried running firefox from a terminal and seeing what error messages you get? could help you pinpoint why you are having such a bad experience with it
SandsOfArrakis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SandsOfArrakis »

I have been running Firefox for years on Linux Mint. Never had it crash or freeze. This is my experience with several computers which I have used over the years. My guess is your computer might be the culprit, not Firefox. Do you experience other programs freezing and crashing as well?
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

I suspect that cyclguy is lacking in the CPU/RAM department.
CarlBiologist
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CarlBiologist »

Firefox works fine for me (Using 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit). I just wish I could get rid of the Stylish addon and the Mint Search Enhancer addon. (I know I can disable them but I just feel better and more in control when things are removed completely)
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

I just wish I could get rid of the Stylish addon and the Mint Search Enhancer addon.
Your wish is granted...

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge mint-search-addon mint-stylish-addon
Adelante
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adelante »

Well, I like Firefox, so there. Why don't you just use another browser?
Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon
Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce
chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim »

One of my favorite aspects of Firefox has long been the bookmarks aligned to the side. Only real trouble has been Firefox not liking the version of flash used by Mint.

The Chromium spinoff FlashPeak Slimjet now has the bookmarks on the side as well. Unfortunately they have not yet made the bookmark folder states remain open. Kind of a pain to always need to expand the bookmarks each time you use the browser.

As for Mint and flash, I tried the Fresh Player Plugin mentioned in this forum earlier today. Works great.

Love having options.
Mint-20 Mate 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 16GB DDR4 2400
4TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 7200rpm
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Get rid of Firefox!---??
In a word--------NO!
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Buzzsaw wrote:I suspect that cyclguy is lacking in the CPU/RAM department.
:lol:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
SandsOfArrakis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SandsOfArrakis »

Buzzsaw wrote:I suspect that cyclguy is lacking in the CPU/RAM department.
Might be the case. Firefox (and other web browsers) are memory devourers when you have several tabs open. A few open pages and Firefox eats more memory then the rest of my programs + Linux itself combined.

Edit: You weren't referring to the person himself, right? :D
cyclguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cyclguy »

andklein wrote:I don't like Firefox on my desktop computer or on my mobile phone. I use Chromium on Linux Mint and Google Chrome on my Android. I don't like Firefox because I like the Interface of Google Chrome/Chromium more. It's not something about his functionality it's about the look. I don't care about "Free Software, Open Source, don't track the User".

But hey buddy, it takes only 4-5 seconds to change your browser and remove Firefox. :lol:
Wow! I didn't expect this kind of response. But I am pleased. I am a little confused by the lack of similar experiences. On other forums I have seen issues similar to mine. I have an older computer but it does have a dual core CPU and I have 4 gig of RAM. Not huge amounts but surely adequate for Firefox.

I have yet to have an installation of Firefox that was not buggy. Even on Windows (which I am using at this moment, along with Opera) Firefox begins acting twitchy after an hour or so and then if I have more than 6-7 tabs open (need lots of tabs as I am doing research and writing) Firefox will lock up and I have to go all ctrl-alt-delete. There are a good number of alternate browsers out there, yes I can ignore FF and use another, but my thinking was why put the burden on the user? How about including several browsers to choose from?

I realize FF has its fans and I used to be one. IMO FF is now bloated, buggy and inefficient and is more of a detriment than an asset, IMO. As my problems have spanned desktops (2), tablets (2), and phone I have to believe either FF has issues or I am possessed by some sort of entity that produces an anti-Firefox force field. For my own peace of mind, I am going with the former.

Return to “Software & Applications”